robert luis rabello wrote:

Snip

>       Surely there ARE some differences.  I think George Orwell had it
>right (though his timing was off by a few years) and Josef Goebbels
>would be quite comfortable in the current administration.  That
>wouldn't have been the case 40 years ago.

Actually I would argue that Aldous Huxley was closer to the mark.  It's
easier to control people with soma than brute force.  Keep them asleep
and numbed with warm fuzzy patriotic feelings and mostly distracted with
useless information, propaganda and flashy entertainment, and they will
hand the reins over to you with gladness to do with as you please.

Joe