Charles,
     I've been separating the glycerin mix prior to washing. After much
tweaking I am finally making BD that washes easily and passes quality tests.
     I have plans for the glycerin mix. Now that the weather is warming up I
plan to use phosphoric acid to split the mix into Fatty Acids, Crude
Glycerin, and Potassium Phosphate.
     I've been burning a BD30 blend to heat my house this past winter. Over
the past week I've bumped it up and yesterday got BD100 to keep burning in
my furnace.
(Still have my fingers crossed). I hope to blend the fatty acids recovered
into the heating fuel for next year. Heat my house on a BD100/fatty acid
blend.
     Just completed the methanol recovery unit. Hope to get some methanol
back from the crude glycerin.
     Am in the early stages of planning  ethanol distillation
..... have the application for a permit, looking at plans for the still,
etc. I'll look at adding glycerin to the mash in the fermenter ---->
ethanol.  If this goes kaput, I have a large garden and use tons of compost.
Neutralizing the glycerin w. ammonia should give me glycerin w. potassium
and ammonium phosphate  .....  a welcome addition to a hot compost pile.
     My point is that I see value in the glycerin coproduct.
    I may be wrong, but it would seem to lose its value if it was washed out
before separation. It reminds me of the notion of growing a crop to make BD
(or ethanol) and not utilizing the seedcake (or mash) produced by the
process for animal feed.
                                        Tom