Jason & Katie wrote:
Mr. Wells,
you are from Iowa?
I went to school in Ottumwa at IHCC.

No.  I am originally from southeastern Texas.  I posted because we had a biofuels forum here in Charlottesville,VA on 03-30, and one of the speakers was an engineer of the VA consulting company on the project at Ottumwa, and he showed photos of the facility and described it in detail.

However, I have yet another improbable connection to that power plant.   In January 2004, two years ago,  I and 23 other Virginians drove to Burlington,IA to work for the Howard Dean caucus campaign in southeastern Iowa (the part of Iowa closest to Virginia, shortest drive for us).  After we got there part of our team, including me, were asked to go work in Ottumwa, 90min drive west.  We did.  I and my partner elected to stay for the caucus evening, and we were asked to be poll watchers, and were sent to the precinct meeting in Kirkville, in Wapallo County, to observe the caucus.  There were 24 adult voters in that precinct.  It was a wonderful experience.  That coal-fired power plant is along the road between Ottumwa and Kirkville, and is an impressive sight at night.  When I told this story to the engineer, he told me that he was probably present at the power plant that night!

-Don
begin:vcard
fn:Don Wells
n:Wells;Don