Hi everyone

I'm very new to this home made biodiesel lark and have only got to the stage where I've run two 1 litre test batches with new canola.  The results have been really good and I have used the biodiesel in a primus stove (mixed with kerosene - it didn't burn properly on it's own).  I'm planning on running it through my old car (a '94 Mitsubishi) to see if it goes OK, but having read a lot of Journey to Forever, the engine will almost definitely run on it as they "will run on any fuel for a short period of time" - my idea is to run my old car on 100% BD to see if anything detrimental happens and then run both cars on it if all is OK.

I have now got all the chemicals I need to go into larger scale production and have acquired an old stainless steel LPG tank which I am planning to modify so I can use it as a reactor.

I would really appreciate being able to get in touch with biodieselers in New Zealand around the Hamilton area so I can see their setup and find out what their experiences have been like.  The place I get my chemicals from said they get quite a lot of biodieselers coming in so they are definitely some here!  I've looked through the archives and 'Bob-bmolloy' and 'Michael Williams' have mentioned NZ biodiesel producers but they appear to have gone off line with it.

The main problem I have come up against is obtaining waste oil.  I went into the local Burger King and they change the oil in their fryers every few days which sounded ideal as the oil wouldn't have been cooked to death.  The manager was very reluctant to let me help myself to the drum out the back so I had to contact the head office in Auckland who said I should contact 'The Tallow Man' who has the contract for removing the oil.  I did this and he tried to put me off making biodiesel because they'd tried it and had blown up the engine in their vehicle quite quickly - he said they'd filtered down to 10 microns but there were still microscopic solids in the oil that did the damage.  Not sure if they were tran-esterifying or just blending WVO with something else - anyway, it didn't put me off.

Either way, he was not happy for me to help myself to Burger King's waste oil as he pay the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry $1000 a year to do the job commercially.  They use the oil in animal feed but he said he'd be happy to sell me some oil if I wanted it but I'm not interested as it makes it too expensive.

I've approached a few local chip shops and takeaways but it's very hard to make myself understood (mainly due to language difficulties).  I did arrange to pick up some oil from one guy, but when I went back on their 'oil change day' he didn't recognise me and it was clear that they weren't changing the oil in their fryers.  He offered me a tub of crispy bits they had strained from their fryer but I tried to explain (to no avail) that this wasn't what I was after.  Besides, from the smells coming from the places I've visited, their oil is pretty old and has been cooked/burnt so I imagine the FFA level would be pretty high.  As such, finding out how the other people doing this in NZ get their waste oil is very interesting to me.  I considered placing an ad in the paper but don't want too much oil in case I find it hard to convert it (also, from what 'The Tallow Man' said, I could potentially be considered a commercial outfit and be subjected to fees, regulations and who knows what if I publicly advertised as someone who would 'dispose' of waste vegetable oil).

Also, a source of cheap methanol would be great - I paid NZ$70 for 20 litres, but I'm sure it can be obtained at a cheaper price having looked at trademe (NZ equivalent to ebay).

Anyway, any help/advice would be great.

Thanks

Daniel