Hi Mike,
Try buying 1 gallon of it somewhere like Brentag or Scientific
Laboratory Supply @ 98%(guaranteed analysis.  Remember my methanol price
is around $2.00 a gallon when I buy 4 -55 gallon drums but 1 gallon is
around $5.  The backyard guy will go to Jail if he gets caught with a 55
gallon drum of Sulfuric Acid (depending on city fire and ordinance of
course).
You do bring up a great Idea though, Ricals may be able to purchase from
his local water plant fellows in small quantities.

Buy the way what do water plants use Sulphuric acid for?  I thought they
used Hydrochloric acid? (my ignorance)

Jim