Jason & Katie wrote:

> hello robert,
>
> i am from the midwest of america.

        If you'd said "Iowa", I'd have enough of an idea!  When I think of
Iowa, I think of corn, soybeans and hogs.

        The coastal regions of the Pacific Northwest are characterized by
heavy rainfall for most of the year, low solar insolation and poorly
drained soils.  We get mild winters up here--only two cold snaps this
season, for instance--and hot summers where we can go four to six
weeks without a drop of rain.

        Maize, strawberries, carrots, broccoli and specialty flowers grow
VERY well in the valley bottoms.  But I live on a hillside that used
to be a dairy farm.  There were orchards up here at one time also.
I've never seen any commercial melon crops in this area.  My saintly
mother-in-law says that melons don't do well around here, but she
doesn't know exactly WHY this is so.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind