Kim

Did you even look at the snopes reference yourself? It's hard to
believe you did and still posted this. Snopes doesn't confirm a lot
of it as "Rick" claims. It's not slanted, it's just a pack of lies,
and it's about five and a half years past its use-by date.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/tyler.asp
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Politics (The Fall of the Athenian Republic)

"Claim:   Law professor demonstrates that the results of the 2000
presidential election correspond to an 18th century historian's
prediction of conditions accompanying the downfall of democracy.

<snip>

"In other words, he got the same legend e-mailed to him and passed it
on to [law professor] Olson without checking it out, and when Olson
passed it on, someone thought it sounded better if a law professor
had done the research, and so it grew. Who knows where it originally
came from, but it's just not true."

If you did look at it you certainly should have warned about that
right on top but you didn't mention it.

Even if you swallowed Rick's line about snopes, didn't this set off
warning bells?

>>Pass this along to help everyone realize just how much is at stake,
>>knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.

When you see "pass this along to all your friends!", or "send this to
everyone in your address book!" there's probably a better than 50-50
chance that a visit to snopes will not be in vain. I've warned about
it before, please don't send messages with footnotes like that to the
list.

Hm. Previously you were saying colonisation is good for human rights
and so on. You told me:

>I know history quite well, thank you.  At times I think better than
>you.  But, I can see hope for humanity, I don't think you can.

Now you're quoting a misnamed historian as saying things he didn't
say, you didn't check it, but it sure does try to lend some support
to some of your views. Would that be including what 18th-century
Scottish historian Alexander Fraser Tytler (not Tyler) never did
imply right at the top, that humans can't do democracy because
they're just too venal at heart? You've also said having lots of guns
about the place stops people getting shot better than not having any
guns around does, or however it's supposed to go, Charlton Heston's
line, and you've said strange things about poverty and welfare too.
Do you go along with what not-Tyler didn't actually say? If not then
how come you seem to have swallowed this obvious bit of disinfo so
easily? Whose agenda does it fit, Kim?

History, well. No historian since 1947 writes about the rise and fall
of civilisations without reference to Arnold Toynbee. Someone who
doesn't question "the worlds greatest civilizations" being described
in the next line as "these nations" doesn't know much about history,
but might enjoy reading Toynbee's A Study of History. It's in 12
volumes, but Somervell abridged it to two volumes and got an admiring
foreword from Toynbee, you can get them in paperback at Amazon.

 From which a rather different view emerges than your imposter would
have you believe, hard to find any hopelessness in it. Will that make
it hard to swallow? Why don't you dump all the spin stuff and find
out what you really think? You're not poisonous but this stuff is.

For general disabusement about history Mr Wells's "Outline of
History" is still the first resource. "A Short History of the World",
the abridged version that followed it, is now available free online
in full-text with a search box. The two books work well in
combination.
http://www.bartleby.com/86/
Wells, H.G. 1922. A Short History of the World

Well, they're friendly, but,
The shit they believe
Has got their minds all shut
- Frank Zappa