Dear  Bob and Keith

   I am very sorry for the late reply , not able to be  as quick as KEITH

>>>I interpreted this to mean that the crushed seeds are subjected to the

   Here in Brazil nobody  like to use Methanol , yes  you are correct that the crushed  seed  is used as feed stock.
The mixture of this two methanol and ethanol can be better, but the process  for the big scale use methanol , and  there is also effort to make the carbohydrate to make ethanol in future.

sd
Pannirselvam

bob allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

By using one step simultaneous extraction and
>esterification , the patented process use crushed seeds to make
>four products , the BioD , the glycerol , the protein, carbohydrate
>that seem to deintoxicated for animal feed is now being scaled up
>to big pilot plant.

I interpreted this to mean that the crushed seeds are subjected to the
alkali catalyst/methanol hence the seedcake is exposed to the reaction.
I've seen papers other papers discuss simultaneous extraction/reaction
with soya bean flakes. the problem was that much more methanol is need
to extract the oil during the processing into biodiesel, partly due to
the moisture content of the beans.

Keith Addison wrote:
>> Ricin is a protein which would be denatured by the reaction conditions.
>> Denaturation just means changing the shape of the protein, thus
>> inactivating it. Same as hard boiling an egg more or less.
>
> Thanks Bob. But I think the ricin doesn't get into the oil, it's in
> the husk, and thus in the seedcake.
>
> I see James Duke says: "Although it is highly toxic due to the ricin,
> a method of detoxicating the meal has now been found, so that it can
> safely be fed to livestock."
> Ricinus communis, "Handbook of Energy Crops", James A. Duke, 1983
> http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Ricinus_communis.html
>
> Maybe they just hard-boil the seedcake.
>

> Re the high viscosity:

>>> That seems to be the main problem. Castor oil is 100 times more
>>> viscous than petro-diesel. Castor oil biodiesel is less viscous than
>>> the straight oil, but several references say it is still higher than
>>> the national standards specification limits. If there is an easy way
>>> to make it less viscous or to solve the problem that would be
>>> valuable to know.
>>>
>>> Do you have any further information on this?
>>>
>>> This is quite interesting on how castor oil works as a lubricant and
>>> why it's different to other oils:
>>> http://www.georgiacombat.com/CASTOR_OIL.htm
>>> CASTOR OIL
>
> Castor oil has good lubricity, I wonder if castor oil biodiesel have
> better lubricity than others. Maybe that could offset the viscosity
> problem. More and more places are following the French and specifying
> biodiesel as a lubrication additive in LS diesel fuel. If it had
> better lubricity you'd need to use less, and the high viscosity
> wouldn't matter at such a low percentage. Which is where I grind to a
> halt because the difference between lubricity and viscosity isn't
> that clear, or at least not to me, especially when you add high
> temperatures. Anyone know better?
>
> Best
>
> Keith

Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" � Richard Feynman