Hallo Mike,

Saturday, 22 April, 2006, 11:14:02, you wrote:

MR> Wow Gustl!

MR> That was quite a comprehensive response. I see logic and reason in
MR> all of it and I agree with nearly all of it.

Thank  you.   I  try.   Sometimes it works and sometimes not, but I do
try.

MR> You  mentioned  Mein  Kampf.  To  my knowledge, I had at least one
MR> distant  relative  executed  by  the  Nazis (he was German and not
MR> Jewish)  and  another who hid a Jew until the end of the war (They
MR> later  married).  My strong dislike of Nazism and the ignorance of
MR> some  who wear the hackenkreuz without fully understanding what it
MR> means,  is very disturbing. I only read the first 300 pages of the
MR> book  (my  paperback  copy)  before  losing  interest and becoming
MR> disgusted  with  the  600+ page rant which (IMO) just recycled the
MR> same  crap over and over again. Jews, Czechs, Poles, bla, bla bla.
MR> He hated everyone!

This is something we could spend a long time on but it isn't worth the
trouble.   I personally have a strong dislike of all governments while
understanding  the  need  for  them  given  our evolution as a society
(worldwide,  not just the US).  Hitler certainly had a lot more to say
about  the  Slavs than he did of the Jews and held a lot more hate for
the  Slavs.   If  the  notion  ever  strikes  you read a lot of Mircea
Eliade,  Joseph  Cambell,  Carl Jung and some Heinrich Zimmer just for
drill  and  then  keeping  what you have learned in mind find and read
"The  Young  Hitler  I  Knew"  by August Kubizek and then re-read Mein
Kampf  and  see  what you come up with.  I think you will be surprised
how differently you look at things, but perhaps not.  It won't justify
Hitler  and  what  he did but it will give you an understanding of how
his  mind  worked  and  why  he  did  what  he  did  if you can remain
dispassionate which is not easy to do.

And  a  note  about  the  swastika.   It has been a positive religious
symbol for millenia and it is a shame that we in the west have let the
misuse of this symbol taint our way of thinking about it.  It is still
in wide use in the east as a respected religious symbol and it pops up
in  places  one  would  not think it would be if their only experience
with  it  is during the Hitlerzeit.  There is a swastika border around
the  walls  of  the  supreme  court and there are swastikas in ancient
temples  in  Israel.   The  swastika is the innocent victim of willful
misuse  and  should not suffer because of that.  It was also the first
Christian  symbol  called  the  crux  gammada  and  it  symbolized the
trinity.

MR> You  wrote:  "The  United  States  cannot  be compared to post WWI
MR> Germany in any way."

MR> ...in  any  way?  I  think  that  the Weimar Republic was an early
MR> redistribution  of  power  for  which  the powerful (or those with
MR> ambitions of being powerful) did not stand. Although the events at
MR> the end of the Weimar republic does not exactly match our own, the
MR> US   government   actively   seeks   ways   to  keep  down  public
MR> participation in a true democracy. I concede that the similarities
MR> end there.

I  believe  I  will  stick  by  my  statement  for  the most part. All
governments do what you suggest. I have no argument there. But I would
compare the Weimar Republic more to the situation of and government of
Iraq.  It  was/is  an  imposed system from a foreign conqueror in both
cases. Germany had the Kaiser and Iraq Sadaam and both had just lost a
war. Just as in post war Germany there are warring factions which like
neither  the  government  nor each other and there is civil strife and
unrest  and war. We will have to hide and watch to see if Iraq ends up
like Weimar.

Good  talking  with you brother.  Again, I apologize for the necessity
of my late reply.

Happy Happy,

Gustl

--
Je mehr wir haben, desto mehr fordert Gott von uns.
********
We can't change the winds but we can adjust our sails.
********
The safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope,
soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones,
without signposts.
C. S. Lewis, "The Screwtape Letters"
********
Es gibt Wahrheiten, die so sehr auf der Straße liegen,
daß sie gerade deshalb von der gewöhnlichen Welt nicht
gesehen oder wenigstens nicht erkannt werden.
********
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't
hear the music.
George Carlin
********
The best portion of a good man's life -
His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
William Wordsworth