Hi, Folks:

I'm kind of new to the list; I've spent a lot of time in the archives already, and I know this ground has been covered. But any advice/input any of you want to share would be great. Oh, and: I'm an English professor, not a chemist, so my apologies for what must seem like sloppy lab documentation to some of you!

Over the weekend, I tried my first test batch of acid/base stuff; I've had plenty of success making this using both the conventional and base/base reactions (I had quite a lot of success with the latter, actually). Here are the specs:

  • de-watered vegetable oil (a mixture, fairly clean & used fairly lightly)
  • H2SO4 (95%-98%)
  • KOH (purity?)
  • Methanol

  1. I warmed the veg oil to 95F & added--while stirring--80mL of Methanol
  2. I stirred that (on a little magnet stirrer) until a suspension clearly formed and added 1mL of H2SO4
  3. After 20 minutes or so I paused the stirring to move the beaker back to the heating pad to warm it again
  4. Continued stirring for 80 more minutes
  5. Let the mixture rest for 20 hours
  6. Dissolved 4.9 g of the KOH (because I'm not sure about its purity) into 120ML of Methanol
  7. Heated the oil-Methanol-H2SO4 blend to 135F
  8. Slowly added the methoxide to the blend, while stirring
  9. Twice, during the hour of stirring, I had to pause to re-heat the oil; in all, stirred for about 75 minutes
  10. Settlement seemed very slow--it took a couple of hours to settle into distinct layers
  11. The glycerine layer is only about 110mL
  12. The biodiesel layer is 800mL
  13. After 4 hours of settling, I washed the biodiesel violently agitating it with about 600mL of fresh (though hard) water
  14. Two distinct layers formed, but it took a couple of hours
  15. 12 hours after the first wash, I drained the wash water & added another 600mL of fresh
  16. This second wash stage is also separating very slowly--still lots of white settling out.
Questions:
  1. Would my pauses during mixing (and the fluctuating temperature) have greatly affected the reaction?
  2. Could the wash difficulty be the result of too much KOH in the initial reaction?
  3. Should I have around 80mL of additional precipitate from the reaction--or even more, given the total amount of the bd layer?
Once I'm finished washing this batch (another couple of washes), I'm planning to take 100mL and re-react it, to see if I get a bit more glycerin.
Any thoughts on how much KOH/Methanol I should try for that?

Thanks much!

Sean