Thankyou Tom.

>Keith,
>    You wrote:
>"So I'm also interested in what folks might have to say about filtering, and
>not filtering."
>
>     I filtered my WVO when I was doing small - 1L, 5L, 15L batches - but
>found it to be too time and energy-consuming when I began to run larger
>(91L) batches.
>     Before upscaling my process, I had already set up sources for WVO, and
>was getting far more WVO than I was processing.

I think if you want to have enough you have to arrange for too much.
WVO isn't the only thing we have too much of. It's a bit like growing
food, the problem is surplus. Do you make more biodiesel than you
require as well, and if so what do you do with it?

>Cubies of WVO were filling
>up my shed.

Ah, another question - what exactly is a cubie? I don't think I've
ever seen one. Sometimes we pump the WVO out of drums into 18-litre
carboys but mostly we get it in the 18-litre metal cans it comes in.

>I got a few 55 gal drums to store the oil in and found that after settling
>in the cubies for a few weeks, the oil was very clear.  I now rely on
>gravity/settling and do not filter my WVO.
>     I allow the WVO to settle in cubies for a week. I then pour the top 80%
>of each cubie into a barrel and consolidate the bottoms of 5 cubies into 1.
>Most of this will be ready for the barrel the next week. I have 4 WVO
>barrels. One is settled and is used for processing, two are settling, and
>one is being filled. I pump WVO out of the settled barrel from the top 3/4.
>This oil is very clear and requires very little drying.

We do something similar, no filtering, gravity and settling work just
fine. I think if people don't have the time to wait for it to settle
it would be worth increasing the WVO supply and reserves to make the
time. We need a couple more settling drums, I've got the drums, I'm
about to weld together the stands. I don't pump it out of the top
though, I use a bottom drain and a standpipe, drain the stuff at the
bottom every now and then and resettle it the same way. I don't
bother much with dewatering/drying, it's seldom necessary.

What's the average titration level of your WVO, Tom?

Do you filter your biodiesel before use?

Thanks again.

Best

Keith