Keith,
     You wrote:
 "Our compost quite often goes up to the 70s or the mid-70s C (160-170 deg
F), usually by the next day. That causes me no concern at all."
    I'm glad I didn't get this post yesterday. I don't think I would have
gotten as much work done.Upon reading Tom Irwin's post I was worried about
pasteurizing my "heap". The earthy smell and the steam coming off that pile
as I turned it was a thing to behold. To Tom Irwin: right or wrong about
upper temps for compost piles, I appreciate your response. I got a great
deal of work done that I'd been putting off. It gave me a great appetite for
dinner and last night I slept like a baby.

Keith asked:
"Have you read these? Basic texts on scientific composting by the man who
invented it, in India 80 years ago. "
1. An Agricultural Testament, Albert Howard
2. The Waste Products of Agriculture -- Their Utilization as Humus by
Albert Howard and Yeshwant D. Wad, Oxford University Press, London,
1931
     I have not. At a glance, they seem to have much stricter
rules/guidelines than I tend to follow. I'm just carrying on a family
tradition of making "garden dirt".
My grandfather had a wonderful pile of sifted "dirt" that he made himself
and was supposed to be the secret to his gardening success.
     About 30 years ago I took a course called "Soil Microbiology" and was
formally introduced to composting by  a professor who loved gardening as
much as he loved microbes. Composting was the culmination of a unit on the
role of microbes in recycling matter. It was at that time that I came upon a
simple layering design for making compost.

 Keith also asked:
 "What are the economics of it for you Tom? How much did the phosphoric cost
you, and how much of it did you buy?"

     I bought a 15 gal drum (57 L) of phosphoric acid for $220 (US). It's
expensive. If all one cares about is the economics, then the glycerine
cocktail is essentially a waste product of the process and can be disposed
of however conscience allows.
      I think it's roughly a break even proposition with me. The recovered
methanol  essentially pays for the phosphoric acid. I know that methanol can
be recovered w/o splitting the glycerine mix, but you're still left with
highly caustic glycerine/lye/soap to deal with
     There have been some comments about the feeling of filling the tank
with a recent batch of homebrew. Putting the other products of the process
to good use also feels good.
     I also have taken to adding a small amount of phosphoric acid (.20 ml/
L of processed WVO) to my first wash   ... thanks again for the suggestion
Todd. For me, this comes to about 18 ml/batch ( ~ 7 cents). It not only has
reduced my washes from 4 to 3, but also makes the wash water from the first
wash easier to dispose of.
I now pour it at the base of shrubs around the edge of my property.
                       Tom