I am speaking mostly from experience, from what I have seen work and
fail in the field, and what I can buy to install for my clients. The
reason I talk about trackers on large poles is because that is what is
commercially sold right now (at least in the US, europe is ahead of us
in many areas).  And the biggest reason I see for failed systems is
lack of maintenance (mostly batteries, but also anything that moves).
Also, the number of new innovative PV systems that I have seen come on
the market over the years, only to dissapear within another year...
We're still basically doing the same thing as PV was in the 70's, with
incremental improvements in efficiency and incremental cost decreases.
 I called the concrentrating PV exotic merely because I can't call up
one of 200 some suppliers and buy one that meets all current
electrical code, whereas I can with silicon PV modules.  Maybe another
breakthrough is coming, but in the mean time, alot of people will keep
using coal generated power because they are waiting for those
breakthroughs.  I would rather see working PV systems going in today,
even if they aren't all that high tech, rather than people thinking
they have to wait before solar energy can work for them -- and in the
mean time continuing to support coal and oil.   It's not that I want
to limit the new technology, but what I have seen is that the
layperson holds out the possibility of a paradigm shift in the
technology in the future as a reason to do absolutely nothing now.
And if I recall, the original question was about concentrating
sunlight on a normal old PV module -- which isn't the best idea --
they tried that at the carrizo solar plant in the early 80's, and a
few years later, a whole lot of used Mud-lams (because the encapsulant
turned varying shades of brown) flooded the market for off-grid use.

I do admit that this list's members are not your average layperson,
and most of us won't just use the news of new inventions as an excuse
for procrastinating, so I apologize for that.

Zeke