Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2006 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Wood

Mike,
    Have you ever split straight grained ash?
    Sections 2 feet in diameter yield to 1 or 2 swings of the axe with a
soulful cracking sound. Makes one feel a bit like Paul Bunyan. Burns good
seasoned or not.
     Only problem is, many were killed off by disease several years ago here
in Northeast US. For a while there was plenty of standing dead to take. I
still have two living ash trees on my property, but wouldn't think of
cutting them down.
     I've never had a complaint about splitting oak, unless its real knotty.
                              Tom