> If it's a secret, include the word iguana anywhere in your response and
 > I'll drop the subject.

No real secret Tom.

I took the numbers for the caustic you used, extrapolated the number
from our hands on experience with FFA recovery and chucked the number
your direction.

Excess acid is required to get a complete split of the soaps. Skimping
will permit some soap to remain in the glycerol layer, leaving a darker
glycerol layer (incomplete reaction).

This reaction should be conducted in the presence of heat. Otherwise you
will find that a high percentage of the soaps from your more saturated
oils (tallow, palm, coconut, etc.) will not be cracked, leaving you with
four layers in the recovery reactor instead of the preferred three. The
fourth layer will be where the interface layer between phats/oils and
the glycerol/methanol/acidic layer should be.

Once complete, the heavily acidified glycerol needs to be neutralized.
Best method is to use a potassium methoxide solution, yielding more
KxPO4 (K1, K2 and K3). Using methoxide will net a a considerably dryer
(less watered) methanol product from your evaporation/distillation
recovery than will caustic dissolved in water.

Sorry I don't have a "stoichiometric + X" number for you.

Todd Swearingen