Todd,

"I spent fifteen minutes sifting through several weeks of their archives
just to get a snippet of the facts before I first replied. But I
certainly can't spend hours hunting down what's relative and culling out
what's not."

*Which I did, although it took about a minute to read the original post, and
then I went out and searched the 'net for other coverage. Maybe 5 minutes.
Nothing I read convinced me that this was anything other than an assault on a
peaceful protester. The only people saying otherwise are the ones who beat her
up and arrested her.  I value the right of peaceful protest and believe we all
have a duty to protect it, and to protest when it is abused.

"That was the point of my post. "Where are the facts?" Took another three
or four posts before someone finally provided them. Call it an error of
omission on my part. I call it someone not having any free time on his
hands - nada, none, zippo, zilch - to read on, and on, and on, and on
until something came to the surface."

*I Googled it - didn't take long at all.

*Keith is right when he says:
"Technology has given the angry voices a more public outlet. The
blogosphere is rife with postings castigating Coca-Cola, Wal-Mart and
other big companies, citing everything from unfair labor practices to
dangerous smokestack emissions."
And:
Why are you importing the rules of one type of journalism (print)
into a discussion that focuses on online information? Do newspapers
come with handy word-search engines, for instance? Do you see that
rule of journalism much in evidence when it comes to blogs? That
thing is a sort of blog. What goes on in the blogosphere is making
big huge dents in the mainstream press these days, and making it a
lot more difficult for the interests that own it to help paper over
the spreading cracks in the concrete. They're kicking and screaming
about it, but the blogs are forcing them to cover issues they'd been
studiously ignoring...
*  Keith *is* a journalist, and he understands the distinction between a list
posting and a media story.  I learn a lot from this list, but not everything
comes perfectly packaged.  Even a long thread will sometimes have the true
wisdom at the bottom. If there is a discussion of how to evaluate your BD,
there may be quite a bit of back and forth at the top of the posting, then some
graybeard will chime in with the answer at the bottom.  The list is an organic
thing, as are blogs.
If you look at the JtF website, on the other hand, you can see where Keith's
journalism background comes in:  the text is well-organized, succinct, and then
referenced, not unlike a well-done newspaper story.

"As for your volley of e-mails? Should the presumption be made that you
live in the area and didn't know about it 'till now?"

* Not sure what the point of this is.  I do not live in Cleveland Heights.  I
read about it here and evaluated the whole situation and then registered my
feelings about the matter with the mayor and other public servants.  I often
take action based on what I read on the list. NAIS, voting problems and so on.
I do learn about important issues here, do some research on my own, then act.
That's a major part of the reason I'm on this list.

I will say I find it interesting that you can find the time to send all
this email *about* this post, but don't have the time to research it on
your own.

-Mike