Chris,

Anything beyond the personal production level is going to require
industrial filtration in order keep up with the finished product
output.. I'd venture to say even as low as 100 gpd would warrant a
filter press.

 > The manufacturer claims disposal by composting, the filters
 > are non consumable.

I think this idea of "composting" such material is getting way out of
hand, at any level. This stuff, soaps, FFAs and partially reacted
glycerides, doesn't readily "compost.". It's essentially an oily mess
that kills good composting. Almost better to put the filtrate in a solid
fuels boiler

I think that in the case of Magnesol, or at least if it's incorporated
universally, whether wet washing is viable at a location or not, is an
example of "the enemy of good is better."

Of what value is "better" fuel wherever another wash option exists if
the process proves to be more wasteful in the long run?

 > As they are to treat and pump water, and to treat sewerage. I agree it
 > would be nice to know the true energy costs, but where do you stop? I
 > remember at Uni reading a paper about nuclear power stations. A group of
 > students started doing energy calculations,

I believe an equally worthwhile question is "Where do you start?" To my
knowledge no one has produced an energy inputs comparison for the two
washing processes, Nor has anyone done an "effluents" analysis between
the two.

 >> A) Water is universal, by and large.

 > Tell that to those people in S England who face having theirs turned
off soon! ;-))

Instances such as this might be where the qualifier "by and large" comes
in, no?

 > I have nothing else to do with my wash water but to put it down the
drain.

That's putting part of the cost of your fuel production upon the pockets
of others. Perhaps not a large cost, but it violates a general principle
of "cradle to grave." Industry does this all the time. Are you sure you
want to head in the same direction?

If you're producing just for yourself and have a front or back lawn,
you've got ample space to dispose of treated gray water. You could even
cistern it and use it during a dry spell. Or maybe not in your case. But
the principles are there and it wouldn't hurt if we all adhered to them
as well as possible.

 > Erm, sorry you have lost me, what is resfresh? ;-)

It comes from accompanying English/grammar volume to George Bush's Fuzzy
Math. Should have been "refresh."

Todd Swearingen