Hi Mike;

Well there is considerable uncertainty and debate about what form the
restructuring will take but little argument that it is going to happen
sooner or later.  The best strategy is therefore also unknown but I
think one can still plan for some general conditions which may be
present in any scenario.

In times of hyper inflation things are valued more in terms of what they
are and the potentialities that they represent in terms of basic needs
than they are in our society in present times.  Therefore anyone who can
provide for themselves in areas of basic needs may be considered rich in
some regards.  The ability to provide for your own food requirements can
be very important. The ability to obtain and render water safe for
consumption ranks right up there if you are independant with it. The
ability to produce some energy may be an extravagance depending on the
severity of the situation or it may mean the difference between living
totally hand to mouth and having some extra wealth which can be used for
special needs that have to be obtained from some external source.
Therefore converting cash to assets that have these intrinsic value now
before the hyperinflation hits ( if that is what is going to happen) may
be a very wise investment.  It may be impossible to obtain these items
during hard times due to radical changes in supply and demand.
So land, water and energy figure pretty highly in my mind in any
doomsday scenario. I remember in 1998 when a massive ice storm left my
parents and a huge section of eastern Ontario and Quebec without
electricity for 14 days in the cold of January just how things changed
in surprising ways.  I managed to buy the second last generator that was
available to be bought in the eastern half of this country and it had to
be shipped to me from Winnipeg Manitoba (probably 2000 km away).  There
was no electricity anywhere, and neighborhoods were eerily silent.
There was no trafic since gas stations were down and gas could only be
pumped by hand but cash registers weren't working so many places would
not even sell anything. A running generator could be heard for blocks
and some were stolen by thieves.  In Walkerton Ontario when the
municipal water supply became tainted with e. Coli there was a different
form of pandemonium. Anyone who had a UV sterilizer and R.O. membrane
like me didn't even have to bat an eye but some folks died and many
suffer health problems ever since.
Depending on how bad things get, having some valuable assets like these
may mean a need to defend them as in the example of the generator. I am
starting to sound like a whacko survivalist as you sometimes see
depicted that way. I don't have a fallout shelter or anything like that
but I am definitely working towards ideas that will be of value in
situations where I have to be self reliant. I want to get a methane
digester going and some passive solar as well as PV on the roof as soon
as I can.  I plan to do these things modestly just as I have with my BD
setup. I don't aspire to be able to get off the grid with my current
needs but to be able to have some small amount of power for special
needs if the power goes out and for now it can just be a supplement to
reduce my environmental footprint.
This post is getting long so I am going to cut it off here.

Best regards;
Joe

Cheers
Joe

M&K DuPree wrote:

> Joe Street asks, Is there anything we at home can do to help speed this
> process? :)
> I suggest: Implore your Federal representatives to continue raising the
> debt ceiling, to continue supporting the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, to
> start another war in Iran, etc etc.  Or better, don't waste your time.
> Instead, I ask you, Joe, and the List, how do you believe the average
> "Joe" should prepare for the inevitable demise of the US dollar???  I'm
> not trying to be facetious.  I'm asking a real question, seeking a real
> answer.  Might not like the answer, but I'd like to hear.  Also, Keith,
> how will Japan be affected?  Japan is one of the largest holders of US
> Debt.  Mike DuPree

snip