Marylynn;

By way of explanation, one word:  control.
For clarification, add one more word:  corporate
control.
And to refine that to bring in reality, tweak that:
corporatocracy -- the system we live under.  The same
notion driving NAIS, and NSA databases, and ANWAR
drilling, and a massively unpopular "war", etc., etc..

Not massive chunks, unless you pursue the
implications.
Follow the money.

Regards,
Allen  (E. Allen C.)