Chip,
Can be done, the original gear box and 4X4 transfer box unit in place. The
MB is expensive here new fan to flywheel from MB and for parts. However the
Musso (Sang Yang) has all but the same engine and is all but as reliable.
Needs the injector pipes held better in braces to stop the lines cracking,
the oil cooler needs to be replaced or set as an addition to the coolant
system with maybe a heat exchanger. You also have the power steering pump to
contend with if the ford has the lower ram system and not the unit
construction box. Some of the 5 cylinder MB's I have here and work on are
also fitted with serpentine belts, makes for changing alternators etc a bit
more complex. You will also need to check if your MB has the little devious
vac pump on the front left of the engine gear driven. You will need this for
the Vac brakes on the Ford. The problem with the set up is no vac no
stopping/shutting the engine off. Might be good to fit an accessory pull
cord to the inner side of the injector pump for emergency shutdowns. There
are many configurations of the 5 MB engine from the vertical to inclined,
cast alloy sump to pressed metal. Many such differences were very apparent
in Israel many years ago in the Taxis.

Auto transmissions stay engaged in changing up or down they slowly dump oil
from one set of clutches and increase the oil to next. As can be seen there
is a point where the Auto is in two gears at one time thus causing heat and
drag. Sudden dumping and instant filling from one set of clutches to the
next would tend to give whip-lash to not only the drive train but also the
driver and passengers. Thus the auto is not the best in many instances. This
being said I like the 400 in my Chev 4X4 as it needs no quick work on gear
linkages in off road use or towing very heavy loads.

The MB later autos only went into low/1st if the driver slammed the pedal to
the floor from standing start, otherwise the cars started motion in 2nd gear
if the driver was gentle on take off. Because of this the transmissions
tended to be as you say
"> The mercedes automatic wasn't ever really a very good transmission,
> kinda soft, and this one is quite old."

Doug