>    *   Rudolf Diesel, the inventor of the diesel engine, designed it to
>      run on vegetable and seed oils like hemp. In fact, when the diesel
>      engine was first introduced at the World's Fair in 1900, it ran on
>      peanut oil.

Aarghh!!! Not the old Rudolf and the Peanut Oil fairytale again!

Facts:

1893 Rudolf Diesel patents the diesel engine.

1900 Rudolf Diesel is twice awarded the Grand Prix at both Paris
World Fairs (1900 and 1910) for inventing and developing his engine.

But no peanut oil. The true story:

"... excerpts from some of Dr Diesels' work, that he published 1912
and 1913, where he states that it was the Otto Company that ran one
of his engines on peanut oil at the request of the French government
during the 1900 World Fair. He later conducted some trails where he
determined fuel consumption and assessed operability. He also
mentions similar successful experiments in St. Petersburg using
castor oil and animal oils." - Darren Hill

"It WASN'T him! I recently borrowed his book "The Development of the
Diesel Engine" -afaik the last one he published until he drowned
himself in the Channel. All kinds of fuels that had been tested are
described there, from coal dust over weird chemical mixtures that had
been sent to Diesel by the industry to all sorts of crude oil and
even tar-oil. Vegoil just got about 4 lines- remarking that it was
the French "Otto-Company" (yes the Otto-engine!) that ran Diesel's
engine on peanut oil: "The engine was built for crude oil and was
used without any modification on vegoil."..."it worked so well that
only a few insiders took notice of this insignificant circumstance."
(Diesel, Rudolf. 1913. Die Entstehung des Dieselmotors" 1st reprint
by Braun, Hans-Joachim (Ed). 1984. Moers: Steiger. Page 115.)." -
Stephan Helbig

Best

Keith