Charles,
     I think an "oil" burner can tolerate impurities. The problem is that
you may have to make some minor modifications. The problem I had, and, I
think, you as well, was that we were burning inferior fuel w/o any
modifications to the burner. I think that glycerides in the fuel (from
incomplete reactions) at low temp and pressure can coke up nozzles and
electrodes.

     I have a Beckett AF burner  ---> baseboard hot water for heat  +  the
furnace (boiler) has a coil that supplies domestic hot water. I think any
burner can burn BD. I don't think it has to be the high quality BD I use in
my car, but lower quality fuel may require some adjustments..
    I put a T in my fuel line, as you have said you plan to do  .... be sure
to use flare fittings rather than compression fittings. I've gone to all
brass, heavy duty valves ... again flare fittings. I have a cartridge fuel
filter in both the line from the main tank as well as in the line from the
"experimental" (now 100% BD) tank.
***I ran about 1 foot (~30cm) of the copper tube from the BD tank up the
pipe that carries hot water from the boiler to the circulator to heat my
house. The copper tubing then runs down the same pipe back to the T in the
line. I wrapped the tubing and pipe w. insulation. The water inside the pipe
is 160 - 180F (71 - 82C). As long as my heat is on the BD is preheated
passively.
     I put a pressure gauge on my pump and increased pressure from 100psi to
125psi. I changed from a
1.0 gallon/hour nozzle to a 0.75 gph nozzle.
     Make sure that air cannot get in the furnace/boiler through any
openings .... use furnace cement if necessary. Ex: I could see light  (from
the flame) coming out bolt holes in my burner gasket .... sealed them shut.
Don't seal inspection port .... you'll want to check flame and for smoke.
      I also had to decrease air flow. On my burner there are two adjustment
bands. One is closed for 100% BD while the other is partly open.
       I installed a Webster Bio Pump (viton seals --> BD compatible). The
pump on the burner worked fine all winter, but I had concerns about
biodiesel causing the seal to eventually leak. Bio-Pump   ~ $75 US; very
easy to install on my burner ("drop in").

     I recently made a batch of BD that failed the methanol quality test;
about 75L (20 gal). It burned fine in the boiler with the above
modifications (w/o the pre-heating).
     I have been experimenting with adding Free Fatty Acids (FFAs) to the BD
in my heating system. They seemed to burn fine (~5% FFAs : 95%BD) until the
warm weather came, my heating system was off, and the mix was no longer
being pre-heated. I got some coking.

     My point is that for heating purposes you probably don't need high
quality BD. You probably will have to make some minor adjustments to your
system  ...  pre-heating the fuel and/or changing pressure/nozzles/air flow.
     Knowing how to test the quality of your fuel is still valuable. The
methanol test is quick and cheap. That, along w. some tweaking of the
process (increase temp  a few degrees/ time by 15 minutes) you will improve
fuel quality. It is possible to make BD that passes the quality test w/o any
serious inconvenience or increased cost. In the mean time less than perfect
fuel should work fine in the boiler.
                   Best of luck,
                                    Tom