Hi Andrew;

The acidic water may have encouraged rust.  I have tried hot water and
found it to be an improvement so I don't think that is it. I am no
chemist but I understand that water is a polar molecule and oil is non
polar so they normally don't like to hang out together but if there is
something like a soap which has one end that likes water and the other
end that likes oil it works something like a religious official who can
join a man and a woman ( which also naturally don't like each other) and
you have a problem ( in both cases of course) called an emulsion.  Funny
I never realized it before. God help me if I ever feel like getting
emulsified again!  There must have been something else in the water or
fuel. It could be something small.  Sometimes a small drop of surfactant
for instance in a large amount of water can change it's property
dramatically. How reliable is your water supply?

Joe