Even if they are available for purchase it would help if someone would level the playing field. The ruling class and their corporations have centralized everything (monopolized). You need permission from the public utility commission for example to sell power from your waterwheel to a neighbor if it crosses a road. I think the law is unchanged in this. So utility generation on a microscale bounded by roads faces much less regulation. Current trends are higher prices and lower reliability. Sounds like a need to be filled.

Small water cooled diesels operated as cogen units offer much in cooler locations. The economic trick is needing heat. Last time I penciled it the power was about 5 cents per kwhour - and that was mostly amortising machinery
Fuel was 10% of the bill as I recall.
Kirk

Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I agree.  My engineering degree may not get me a job (well, it did, but it was lousy pay, and in a cube), but it (along with alot of hands on experience) will aid immensly when I need to deal with the crazy world we are entering when services such as electricity, food, heat, water, etc, are not just available for purchase, but when we must find our own ways of getting them.