You can buy it now. Here is what I found from
http://www.vrbpower.com/technology/faqs.html - the Canadian company
which sells VRB. More information about the technology available on
their site.

11. What is the Cost per kW? What is the Incremental Cost of
Additional Storage Capacity?

The cost is quoted in $/kWh or $/MWh since the VRB-ESS is an "Energy
Storage System" and should not be considered a UPS or even a
generator. Although the VRB-ESS provides the full UPS capability, its
primary use is for energy storage for long periods, which UPS and
conventional technologies cannot provide. As an approximate cost,
systems are priced between $350-$600 per kWh, sizes ranging from a few
hundred kW's to MW size systems. As the size of the system in kWh
increases, the cost per unit decreases significantly. The incremental
cost of storage for large systems is approximately $150 per kWh.