Hey Mike,

Ditto on the water filled gas tank, course back then it seems folks had just a smidge more in the common sense department. In addition if my boss had caught me even close to a gas tank with a torch I would have been in the unemployment line.

Mike Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I feel sorry for the guy and his family but using a torch around methanol?
Back in my wrenching days my boss made sure we knew an empty gas tank
was more danergous than a full one, and god forbid you did any
welding the gas tank had to be filled with water first.

Appal Energy wrote:

>A bad day at Black Rock...
>
>http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-jul1406-explosion_cause.113ae8b1.html
>

> Cause of New Plymouth biodiesel explosion released
>

> 02:30 PM MDT on Friday, July 14, 2006
>
>KTVB.COM
>
>PAYETTE -- Investigators say they now know what caused an explosion at a
>New Plymouth biodiesel plant last week that killed a Meridian man.
>
>One man died at a fire and explosion at a New Plymouth biodiesel plant
>last Friday.
>
>The Payette County Sheriff's Office released its findings today into the
>explosion and subsequent fire at the plant that left 25-year-old Blaise
>Black dead.
>
>The cause of the fire was determined to be an explosion of a 25,000
>gallon steel holding tank that Blaise was working on. The tank contain
>about 30 to 40 gallons of glycerin and methanol liquid mix. Both
>products are flammable and give off flammable vapors.
>
>Investigators say at the time of the explosion Blaise was working on the
>top of the tank attempting to install a two-inch steel pipe with a
>90-degree elbow on the end to function as a vent on the top of the tank.
>During the installation of the vent tube a steel two-inch cap was
>removed from the side of the tank where the vent was to be installed.
>This allowed the vapors to escape from the tank. When Blaise lit his
>cutting torch it ignited the vapors, which triggered the fire and
>explosion.
>
>The Payette County coroner says Blaise it appears Blaise died from blunt
>force trauma as a result of the explosion.
>
>The explosion would have thrown him violently upward against the ceiling
>and a large beam that was above him. As a result of the explosion, the
>ceiling and beam came down and trapped him on the top of the tank. The
>force of the impact would have killed him immediately.

Wildbill
Sutton.VT