Exactly my point Keith;

Eventually when the rest of the plant decomposes the CO2 finds its way
back to the atmosphere.  The earth found a way to reduce atmospheric CO2
and it took her many millions of years to do it.  We in our wisdom have
found a way to undo her work in a few decades! We are stuck with climate
change unless we find an equally efficient method of locking up CO2 and
by this I don't mean pumping it into underground caverns or defunct oil
wells. The earth has in effect been to us as a wound up spring storing
up the solar energy from millions of years in concentrated forms, oil
being only one of them.  We have been releasing the spring rather
quickly and since energy is neither created nor destroyed we find we are
  in effect winding other springs in the process, springs which have a
much shorter time constant like tornadoes and hurricanes. Perhaps it is
time we took a hint from nature. Plants are ingenious agents of solar
energy conversion and storage. I hate the arrogance we have in placing
so much faith in our stupid science. Look where we have come. We are not
smart. With brute force and ignorance working at the marco level we have
done this carnage and now in our ifinite wisdom we want to start
meddling at the nano and genetic level to show how clever we are!
Perhaps it's time we just took a breather and took a look at the example
eveloution has worked out and maybe instead of being so bold we could
humble ourselves and just copy the master's work.

Sorry for venting....I feel (only) a little better now.

Joe

snip