On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 01:17:02PM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
> Hi Rafal
>
> >What is max temperature you would consider "safe" for the process ?
> >
> >I know methanol boils at 64.7 degC, but it starts evaporating before
> >reaching this point. Does that mean the temperature higher than
> >55 degC kept for, say half a minute, causes that a big part of methanol
> >goes away ?
>
> Goes where? If it's a closed processor (as it should be) the methanol
> vapours won't go very far, most or all of it will condense on the
> underside of the lid and drop back in again.

Well, I've seen some traces of condensation on the walls (it's a test
reactor), but it didn't seem to drop back.

> Have a look at what it says about it here:
> The 'Deepthort 100B' Batch Reactor
> http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor8.html

Thanks, Keith. I've missed this description, though I've read nearly
everything at JtF at least a couple of times.

I think I'm going to try out adding methoxide in 2-3 phases. I have
a feeling that in the end - the hardest part - there's not enough exess
methanol. Last time I was careful about the temperature, about measuring
the lye and methanol, but still the process doesn't reach completion.
Biodiesel phase isn't clear (though the colour is quite right) nor does
it separate quickly in the wash test. There's still something wrong...

--
cheers,

 Rafal Szczesniak      **mir[at]diament.iit.pwr.wroc.pl
 Samba Team member     mi***[at]samba.org