People learning science need to be introduced to non-linear and "complex"
systems as a part of their basic education.

Come to think of it, so do philosophers, sociologists, political
scientists, economists...and journalists...just about everyone who deals
with abstractions at all.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Joe Street wrote:

> Hi Bob;

[snip]

> I can't tell you how
> many times I've seen a 4th year or even a grad student act shocked and
> confused when a second or third order approximation didn't seem to cut it
> where the rubber meets the road in the real world. In the process of doing
> what they are taught they somehow lose sight of the stuff they decide is
> irrelevant and act as if it doesn't even exist.

[snip]