Hello Janet

>Good Afternoon,
>
>I hope that everyone is using adequate safety precautions when
>handling materials.
>Tung oil, rich in phorbol esters, has been implicated in the
>initiation of pharyngeal
>cancers and the activation of Epstein-Barr virus.
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&;
>list_uids=6297709&dopt=Abstract
>
>Many of the fumes from the basic oil stocks are carcinogenic, especially
>in relation to the leukemias and lymphomas.  Methanol is highly neurotoxic.

Yes but. Please see:

More about methanol
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#moremeth

"... With information from: United Nations Environment Programme /
International Labour Organisation / World Health Organization:
International Programme On Chemical Safety, Environmental Health
Criteria 196 - Methanol, from IPCS INCHEM, "Chemical Safety
Information from Intergovernmental Organizations", in cooperation
with the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS)"
and elsewhere.

>The biggest problem is with inhalation and contact.  Most people
>don't take the risks
>seriously.

Yes they do. On the other hand, many people overestimate the risks
and overreact, which isn't much use either. Please also see:

Safety:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#safe

Hazards:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor.html#haz

>When processing, it is easy to get accustomed to fumes and spills.
>>From a health standpoint, fume inhalation is especially risky when one has a
>cold or the flu.
>
>Working in a very well ventilated area

Work with closed processors.

>and using the highest degree of cleanliness
>only takes a little planning and care and pays the greatest of dividends.

Safety and hazards have been a strong emphasis from the beginning.
Safe processes and safe equipment and practices have been the
standard here for quite a long time, the practices people here use
(or should be using) are effective and safe, and continue to improve.
The homebrewer casualty rate in seven years seems to be zero.

I don't think anybody is being exposed to tung oil fumes. Jim isn't
heating the stuff, just using it as varnish, which people have been
doing for a very long time without ill-effect. I don't think anybody
tries to process tung oil into biodiesel.

>Many of the fumes from the basic oil stocks are carcinogenic

There's no exposure with closed containers, but please tell us of any
carcinogenic or other hazards you know of from exposure to the fumes
of the basic oil stocks at the usual process temperature of 55 deg C.
If we're facing hazards at that temperature, what's the hazard level
in the average kitchen?

"Depending on the temperature, the thermal degradation of vegetable
oils is a polymerisation (200-300 deg C), a degradation of vegetable
oils into acrolein, ketene, fatty acids then formation of alcanes,
alcenes above 300 deg C and finally a formation of a gas-liquid
mixture from around 500 deg C up."
http://www.nf-2000.org/secure/Fair/F484.htm
FAIR-CT95-0627 - Advanced Combustion Research for Energy from
Vegetable Oils (ACREVO)

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever