Jesse Frayne wrote:

>How did you feel about this one, Darryl?
>
>First reaction was something about journalism.  Big
>Headline, then three columns of stuff about how we are
>all going to lose our shirts.
>
>Finally, somebody says Hey, she's just scaring
>people!!!  Hello?  How about reducing use?  And how
>did she find her statistics, anyway.
>
>Humm.  Fuzzy journalism, I think.

Actually, I thought Simpson was taking aim at the feigned hysteria and
fuzzy journalism that has already characterized the debate since Ambose
opened her mouth, because it certainly seems nobody is listening to what
she is actually saying.

I think the fact that the Minister is saying this presents the proverbial
two-edged sword.  There is the danger that it becomes the self-fulfilling
prophecy.  On the other hand, it could be taken as a challenge and call to
action by those that feel more can be done.  Pity we haven't seen more of
the can-do attitude, and less of the strident hand-wringing for the
cameras.

It annoys me to see the federal Liberals wailing about Kyoto, when they
had years in office and did nothing constructive on the file. It seems a
trifle hypocritical to me to see the leadership candidates posture for the
media on the subject, while their upcoming leadership conference does not
offer delegates the option to make their trip carbon neutral, let alone
the conference.  I see much smaller events for less affluent organizations
buying enough green power credits to make their conferences carbon
neutral.

Of course Canada could meet the targets.  We just won't choose to do so.
Because most of us just don't give a darn.  Bigger houses, bigger cars and
trucks, more consumer goods and status symbols still win out over
maintaining a habitable planet for most Canadians, judging by actions.  I
think the mood is shifting, ever so slowly, but I don't see the momentum
building that others claim to see.  It's a challenge even in my household,
where the time I spend on these issues is resented.

In reality, it isn't the government that will meet or miss the target;
it's the population of the country.  It is our actions and decisions that
make the difference.  If we want zero-emissions vehicles, it is up to us
to buy them.  Where they are prohibited, it is up to us to change the
rules (e.g., our recent victory to legalize electric bikes in Ontario).

If we're worried about the contributions of the oil sands, we can reduce
our demand for heating oil, gasoline and diesel fuel.  If we're worried
about electrical generation from coal, we can reduce our electrical
consumption from the grid.  If we're worried about depletion of fresh
water, we can take measures to reduce our use of it.  We're the consumers.
 We're the demand for those commodities.

Canada is committed to Kyoto; I can't imagine that we will withdraw from
it.  So, instead we'll try to cut a deal to buy credits on the cheap, or
get exemptions or delays.  The right answer is to start a major campaign
to reduce our emissions enough to make those gains at home.  What's the
hurry to get the oil out of the oil sands in ten years instead of fifty?
It's not going anywhere.  The demand isn't going to evaporate in 2016.  We
can become more efficient.

Here's an interesting story.  I have just started analyzing electrical
demand in Ontario since deregulation in May 2002.  Despite the Ontario
Power
Authority's decree that generation capacity must increase by 2% a year
forever, the actual demand for electricity in Ontario has *decreased* 0.5%
from the year May 2002-April 2003 to the year May 2005-April 2006.  That
is despite a growing population, a housing boom, increased employment and
a growing economy during that period.  We can improve efficiency and
conserve, and reduce our raw energy consumption without sacrificing our
economy or quality of life.

We have six years to prove Ambrose and this government wrong?  Will we?
Only if we think it's important, and judging by our actions over the past
decade, we don't think it is important.

Darryl

--
Darryl McMahon                  http://www.econogics.com
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?