M&K DuPree wrote:
Hi Darryl...and Robert...your posts on the garden are beautiful...please let us hear more, whatever thoughts you may have, experiences, tips, meditations on the wonderments (and sorrows) of gardening, etc etc.

    The weather has finally turned cool and rainy up here.  I had these great intentions to load up a bunch of barn litter last week, but my schedule makes it hard to do this, and the one afternoon I had time to go, my sweetheart had other plans for me.

    We're still getting strawberries, though.  I've told my clients and the neighborhood kids that they can eat as much fruit as they like.  Some of the kids stop by two or three times a week to check for strawberries, and since we have WAY more than we can eat ourselves, I've encouraged them.  I realize that some of you are having problems with this, but I would rather have young people enjoying my garden's fruit than trampling through it.  So far, they've been pretty good about not wrecking my plants!  (They're in one of my raised beds, so they don't get trampled.)

    As I've trimmed the ornamental plants, I've shredded the trimmings and piled the resulting mulch up to decompose over the winter.  I'm waiting for my next batch to finish, but I should have enough compost to finish "feeding" the soil around my trees before their leaves fall off.  There is still a fair amount of work that needs doing before I'm done with everything, so my compost pile will be even more substantial than has been the case in the past.  My one complaint is that the shredder doesn't really do a very effective job with the woody portions of stems I trim off.  Oh well . . .

    Someone posted a question about using "compost starter liquid."  I use just enough in my plastic bin to keep things moist, put more on the outdoor pile and dump the rest directly beneath my tree drip lines after it rains.  We have a magnolia out in front that looked like it was dying in the spring, but after a singular treatment with about 2 liters, its leaves darkened nicely and it even bloomed TWICE for us this year!

    It's really great to hear about gardens starting up on the other side of the equator.  May all of you enjoy growing things this year, may the bees come back where they're needed, and may each of you find a blessing in working the soil!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.newadventure.ca