http://eatthestate.org/11-03/CarbonFreeze.htm
(October 12, 2006)

Carbon Freeze?

Recently I've been reading "Revenge of Gaia" by James Lovelock.
Though it sounds like a science fiction novel (and some will critique
it that way), it is in fact an impassioned plea for recognizing the
depth of the climate crisis and a call to action.

Gaia, or the notion of a living planet Earth, was proposed by
Lovelock in the 1960s when he was a planet scientist for NASA looking
at the inert atmosphere of Mars. It occurred to him that life itself
on Earth was manipulating the atmosphere to its own benefit. While
the Earth Science community has now recognized that our planet does
indeed self-regulate its temperature and composition, it shies away
from Lovelock's contention that there is an active, willful component
to Gaia.

Now Lovelock is back, arguing that the regulating mechanisms are
failing; in fact, that Gaia has a fever and is raising her
temperature to get rid of us. As anthropomorphic as this notion is,
Lovelock at 82 is no crackpot. I recently saw him at the University
Bookstore, and he comes across as the genteel but sharp-witted
English scientist that he is. As a fellow of the Royal Society,
Britain's most prestigious science organization, he is on top of the
latest climate science. And unlike most scientists, he feels that his
objectivity is not compromised by speaking out.

Much of the science in the book is familiar: the hockey-stick-like
rise in global temperatures in recent years, the dramatic loss of ice
in Greenland and the Antarctic and Arctic, the melting permafrost,
etc. But Lovelock adds some new twists and goes beyond the smooth and
linear temperature increases that characterize the IPCC predictions.
For Lovelock, discontinuities and tipping points in the form of
sudden temperature rises will bring irreversible change and add up to
a bleak future where humanity itself is threatened.

Lovelock advances the notion that the Earth is returning to a new hot
state, about eight degrees Centigrade warmer, that will last a
hundred thousand years or more. Such an episode did occur about 55
million years ago, when massive methane releases overwhelmed the
planet. As corroborating evidence that we could enter a new hot
state, Lovelock points to his computer simulations that mimic algae
growth in the oceans. According to his model, when carbon dioxide
levels begin to exceed about 500 parts per million, the ocean algae
with their ability to absorb carbon and promote cloud cover become
extinct, leading to an abrupt jump in global temperature of around
eight degrees. This sort of temperature jump would turn much of the
planet into scrub and desert, which together with massive flooding
would lead to a catastrophic die-off in the human population.

To be sure, these sorts of predictions are speculative at this stage.
The new IPCC report is due out next year (and it is rumored to be
frightening). But it would be foolish to ignore the possibility that
letting carbon dioxide levels rise to 500 ppm would put the lives of
billions of people at risk. (Note, according to Paul Roberts' "The
End of Oil," that even if we stabilized carbon emissions at current
levels--a carbon freeze--we will reach 520 ppm by 2100. If we do
nothing, we will hit 550 ppm by mid-century.)

Even if we have already passed a point of no return, Lovelock
advocates replacing our fossil fuels as soon as possible to slow the
temperature increases and to buy us more time. He proposes a range of
alternative energies, including nuclear fission, until we can develop
nuclear fusion, which is still decades away from feasibility, if at
all.

Getting off of fossil fuels may be easier than Lovelock thinks. He
seems to be unaware of peaking global oil supplies. Retired Princeton
geology professor Ken Deffeyes is still sticking to his December 2005
prediction for global peak oil. His new evidence? New data from the
US Energy Information Administration that world crude oil production
peaked at 85.1 million barrels a day last December and then declined
to 84.3 million barrels this past June.
(www.energybulletin.net/20518.html). A temporary downturn, perhaps.
(Chris Skrebowski, editor of Petroleum Review, with his
field-by-field analysis, still sticks to his 2010/2011 peak.)

Meanwhile knowledge of the coming energy crisis seems scant in
Seattle. Portland and San Francisco city councils have already passed
Peak Oil resolutions, setting up committees to study how their city
will react and prepare for the coming high energy prices and
shortages. Energy analyst Matt Simmons thinks the genie is now out of
the bottle and peak oil and gas will dominate the 2008 election
(www.energybulletin.net/21055.html).

Al Gore, well aware of the global warming/peak oil systems crisis,
and who has done more than anyone recently to wake up lethargic
Americans, is calling for an immediate carbon freeze, followed by
steep declines. Gore, who has singled out Ballard as a model
neighborhood for carbon reductions, will be speaking in Seattle on
Oct. 23rd at Key Arena.

The hope is that the challenges of the coming decades will pull us
together. The doctrines that the Republicans and neocons are
pushing--infinite war, market worship, massive debt to drown the
government, a police state--will be wholly inadequate in the new
environment. They need to be trashed as soon as possible. New ideas
about alternative energy and conservation, about global cooperation,
and most of all, about the empowerment of us all to use our
collective energies for the public good will be essential.

The point is not whether Gaia is alive or not, but rather, whether we
can learn to love life enough to save the planet. --Colin Wright