Hi Ken ;

First, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the
varieties you speak of are patentable under existing
laws.

Second, nobody is prevented from developing anything
they want by selective breeding.  They should just not
be able to patent it.

And third, ask a farmer who has selectivly developed
his own strain only to have it infected by a patented
GMO (and necessarily destroyed) if there should be
patent protection for life forms.

BR
Peter G.
Thailand