Hi Joe and All,

I built one out of some spare wood. It´s about 30 cm x 40cm with about 30 cm in depth. I use pallet wood for the top and bottom. The sides were screwed to four internal 2x2´s. I drilled about (20) 1 cm holes in the bottom for drainage. I filled the bottom third with shredded newspaper, added a shovel full of sand and another of soil. Sprinkle with wood ash to keep the pH up. I wet it enough that water came out the bottom holes. I found a local source of red worms and dumped a liter or so into the prepared box. I covered them with more shredded newspaper and started adding my garbage. I wouldn´t go much bigger in size as mine is no lightweight when full. If you need it you should go with two boxes rather than one big one.

I dump mine about 4 times a year and start fresh with about 2 handfuls of worms. I wear leather gloves when I open the box as black widows seem to like to live on the lid. The environment must be kind of like the old outhouse but without the smell. As we have no real winter here I keep the box outside in the shade of the barbeque next to the wood pile. If I see ants invading, it must be time to add water.

Tom Irwin

From: Joe Street <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] The Death of a Compost Bin
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:14:21 -0500

Hi Luke;

Any wisdom to share on the best way to set up a vermicomposter?  I'd like to start one and I'd be the type to make my own rather than go out and buy something ready made, but I haven't a clue about the realities of doing it.  I have read some info on the web about it though. If you could share some of your first hand knowledge it would be great.

Joe

Luke Hansen wrote:
It sounds like you're all talking about a kinda
large-scale operation here, so I'm not sure how useful
this will be...but I just built a worm-bin for the
place I work, and have one at home as well...and I
find that they work faster and better for my
composting needs than a conventional composting bin. I
crafted my latest bin out of untreated cedar siding
leftover from a construction project.

However, I suppose that for larger volume applications
such as lawn trimmings, I'd second the pallet idea.

Good luck,
Luke

--- Paul S Cantrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Pallets are particularly useful.  Usually you can
pick up 3 for free and
either have an open side or I had some leftover
window screen, which allows
air flow.

Also, if you have room you can get 5 pallets and
make a double bin...using a
UU shape.