It's called a Herxheimer reaction (aka Herxheimer's revenge). Eg,
medical treatment can destroy a pathogen, releasing endotoxins which
make you even more ill than you were before, and overwhelm the liver.
(Endotoxins are part of the pathogen's "body", only released when it
dies, as opposed to the exotoxins that it excretes.) I think there
are other ways this can happen, it depends on the illness.

Best

Keith