Yes ozone is a sterilizer and it is also unhealthy to breathe. High voltage arcs produce ozone and also produce nitrogen oxides which are not healthy. Mercury arc lamps produce enough UV to make ozone for sure. So does a laser printer. Usually arc lamps have an outer envelope to keep air away from the actual bulb. UV lamps bright enough to make O3 are dangerous to the eyes. What else about ozone....let's see, ozone disolved in hot deionized water is hell on wheels for anything organic. Works like gang busters as a cleaner for semiconductor wafers. Environmentally freindly! Liquid ozone is something like nitroglycerine, watch out for that one when using cryogenic pumps with oxygen plasmas. Warm them slowly with a nitrogen purge....don't let that ball of frozen ozone melt and drip or we'll see you in the next world. I suppose liquid ozone would beat liquid oxygen for starting a barbeque...lol Don't try this at home kids.

Fun with ozone....
Joe

Jeromie Reeves wrote:

UV light (when powerful enough) can sterilize many things. There are a number of water plants that use UV for sterilizing. I dunno about the "Ozone Lights" doing much good on the O3 side (namely, is O3 a sterilizing agent?). I think there are better ways to make O3 such as direct electrical arc (jacobs ladder). Some ion machines also
produce O3.

Luke Hansen wrote:

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything
about the effects of these "Ozone Lights." I guess
that they don't actually create O3, but they do kill
airborne pathogens. Most of the online literature that
I've found goes back to one study that showed this
light effective in killing E. Coli bacteria in
clinical trials. Anyone have experiences with this, or
anything similiar?

Thanks,
Luke