Thankyou Doug

>Some extra information from Tom Habasco.
>
>Doug Woodard
>St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
>
>*************************************
>
>the state is Michigan,Charlevoix county,Melrose twp.
>Michigan has legislation , Act 421-PA 1986 which allows for composting
>humanure.The local health dept. does not recognize.
> My compost does not leave the property, I cannot sell it, nor do I sell any
>food grown.
>  They complain that composting humanure is illegal.

I don't quite understand: is it just that they don't recognise the
state legislation, or are there actually local ordnances stating that
it is illegal? If so, on what grounds?

Reminds me of a friend from London who visited when we were living in
rural Wiltshire, and later found his big-city car hopelessly parked
in by two tractors. He told the tractor drivers: "But there's no sign
saying you can't park here." They replied: "There's no sign saying
you can."

>We are headed for circuit court where I iether keep or lose my home and
>property. As a military vet, an enviromentalist, an organic farmer, a
>certified horticulturist, an honorary member of "the tip of the mit
>watershed council" we clean waterways, I cannot believe this is happening.
> And I agree that the health dept. should have to disprove composting
>effiecency.
> please lead me to documents in support of advantages of composting for
>ammunition in court.  Thank You.

Joseph Jenkins' Humanure book has a good reference section, it's a
good place to start - full text free online:

http://www.weblife.org/humanure/references.html
weblife.org: Humanure Handbook: References

Or this:

"The EPA published Part 503 biosolids regulations in the Federal
Register on February 19, 1993. A major focus of these regulations is
pathogen control. A standard is set in which compost must be held at
55C for a period of time, dependent on the process used to thermally
inactivate pathogens. For within-vessel composting or the static
aerated pile composting the temperature must be held at 55C or higher
for three days. For windrow composting, the temperature must be held
at 55C or higher for 15 days with a minimum turning of the windrow
five times. This high temperature composting insures complete
inactivation of pathogens."

-- Humanure - Preparation of Compost from the Toilet for use in the Garden
Appalachia--Science in the Public Interest
http://www.a-spi.org/tp/tp41.htm

HTH