Hi all;

Since we talk so much about sustainability here I thought I would share
some news of my vacation in Cuba.  On the one hand I guess my trip could
be viewed as an exercise in hipocracy from a sustainability perspective
what with flying down there on a jet etc. Forgive me oh lord of
climatological repercussions. I traveled around a lot in the country for
two weeks finding accomodations with local families.  It was pretty cool
hiking around eating fresh oranges picked from a tree on the side of the
path, walking through fields of beans, corn, sugar cane and tobacco.
Everything I ate was locally produced. Tropical fruits, vegetables, pork
and chicken all from within walking distance. Even farmers brew coffee.
There are of course huge social problems especially in the cities which
are mostly born out of the political climate but they are miles ahead of
me in terms of obtaining for my needs from local sources.  One more
memorable moment I will share was smoking a cigar that was made for me
before my eyes by a tobacco farmer.  She led me into the thatched roof
curing barn where the leaves hung from racks and grabbing a few, within
a minute she rolled them into a cigar on her bare thigh. Yes I know it
is supposed to be the thigh of a virgin....I don't think that was the
case but it was still a great smoke!

Happy New Year everybody

Joe