Chip Mefford wrote:

<snip>

>Along those lines;
>
> Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of
>Eden to dress it and to keep it.
>
>Now, where it says, "rape, pillage, ruin and destroy and then move
>on," I haven't figured out yet.

    It's that "dominion" concept that people seem to struggle with . .
.  The idea that people were given "rule" over the earth and its
creatures is often taken to mean: "We can do with the earth whatever
we'd like."  This is, of course, a rather selective reading of the
scriptures, but many who claim to follow God do this sort of thing all
the time!

    My hands smell of manure right now because I'm tending to my
garden.  (Yes, it's cold and there's snow on the ground, but all of this
talk about humanity's problems really motivates me to get back to what's
important.)  I've got my truck running again (with its new computer!),
so I'll be spreading barn litter for the next little while.  It's a pain
to climb the hill with a load in the back because I haven't got my
supercharger connected right now, but it's better to crawl uphill and
get the job done than to wring my hands in woe and do nothing!  Working
in the garden connects me with that original concept you've taken from
Genesis in the quote above, and aside from being good for my health,
it's therapeutic for my soul!

    One thing I really like about this forum is that it's filled with
people who are actually trying to solve the issues we're facing as a
species, rather than burying our collective heads in the sand and hoping
the disaster we're heading toward is just a myth perpetrated by
environmentalists bent on ruining the economy and bashing America . . .

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
"The Long Journey"
New Adventure for Your Mind