KA> How Old Is The Grand Canyon? Park Service Won't Say

I read this story some time ago. Presumably the fundamentalists
believe that not only evolutionary biologists but also geologists and
atomic physicists are going to roast in hell.

KA> "In order to avoid offending religious fundamentalists ...

There is a taboo, so deep-seated that I wasn't conscious of it until
Richard Dawkins pointed it out in one of his books, which says that we
shouldn't offend religious sensibilities. If I were to assert that,
say, monetarism, is a misguided philosophy, nobody would admonish me
not to offend monetarists. This taboo is one of the things that have
helped the fundamentalists to attain so much influence.

Religions demand a special respect over and above the ordinary respect
that is (or should be) according to every humman being. Why should we
make a special case for religion? Why shouldn't religious claims be
subject to the same standards of scrutiny as any other assertion?

Regards
David