http://www.fpif.org/fpiftxt/4014
Foreign Policy In Focus |
The Inconvenient Truth, Part II

Tom Athanasiou | February 21, 2007

Editor: John Feffer, IRC

Foreign Policy In Focus
www.fpif.org

You've probably seen the movie; you've certainly heard about it. So
you already know the first part of the inconvenient truth: we're in
deep trouble. And one good thing about 2006 is that this ceased to be
a public secret. We not only know that the drought is spreading, the
ice melting, the waters beginning to rise, but we also know that we
know. And this changes everything.

The science is in; the "skeptics" aren't what they used to be.
They're still around, of course, but their ranks have thinned, and
their funders are feeling the heat. They've been reduced to a merely
tactical danger. They're flaks, and everyone knows it. Still, this
good news comes with bad-their job was to stall, and they did it
well. And it's now late in the game.

Don't just take my word for it. In 2006, scientists schooled in the
art of careful and measured conclusion chose instead to speak
frankly. James Hansen, director of NASA's Goddard Institute of Space
Studies and perhaps our single most respected climate scientist,
spoke for many of his colleagues when he said that we're "near a
tipping point, a point of no return, beyond which the built in
momentum and feedbacks will carry us to levels of climate change with
staggering consequences for humanity and all of the residents of this
planet."1

It's time, past time really, for at least some of us to go beyond
warning to planning, to start talking seriously about a global crash
program to stabilize the climate. Gore knows this, but he's a
politician and must move deliberately. He is moving, though, and has
already passed beyond his film's gentle implication (most visible in
the upbeat visual call to action that ran under the closing credits)
that personal virtue will suffice. During a September 2006 speech at
the New York University Law School (a speech one wag called "the lost
reel") he made some necessary, and dangerous, connections:

"In rising to meet this challenge, we too will find self-renewal and
transcendence and a new capacity for vision to see other crises in
our time that cry out for solutions: 20 million HIV/AIDS orphans in
Africa alone, civil wars fought by children, genocides and famines,
the rape and pillage of our oceans and forests, an extinction crisis
that threatens the web of life, and tens of millions of our fellow
humans dying every year from easily preventable diseases. And, by
rising to meet the climate crisis, we will find the vision and moral
authority to see them not as political problems but as moral
imperatives."

The situation, alas, is worse than either Gore's movie or his speech
implies. So, this being a new year, let's move on a bit, into
territories through which no politician can guide us. And let's be a
bit more explicit about just what a real crash program to stabilize
the climate would actually imply.

Two Degrees of Separation

What happens if the temperature-or, more precisely, the average
global surface warming since pre-industrial times-rises past 2°C?

Even though we're not yet at the edge of the 2°C line, the Earth's
ice sheets are already becoming unstable. The Greenland ice sheet, in
particular, appears to be at significant risk of collapse at a
warming of less than 2°C, and this would eventually mean about seven
meters of sea-level rise.2 Since only three meters would put
virtually all coastal cities and their hundreds of millions of people
at great hazard, and given that the West Antarctic Ice Sheet is also
at eventual risk, the ice situation is already, by any reasonable
standard, "dangerous."3

With 2°C of warming, killer droughts will settle in to stay. There
will be massive vegetation changes, agricultural disruptions, and
extreme weather including superstorms. Many disease-bearing pests
will have radically expanded ranges that put, for example, several
hundred million more people at risk of malaria. Arctic species such
as the polar bear will face extinction, along with 15-40% of other
terrestrial creatures. There will be horrifying refugee crises. The
key points, at least from the point of view of human suffering and
social instability, are the ice-melt, the widespread agricultural
disruption, and the refugees. Also crucial are the billions of
people, many of them in the mega-cities of the South, threatened by
permanent water stress. There will be more, and more terrible, water
wars, many of which are essentially civil wars.4

Most terrifying of all, 2°C of warming, particularly if sustained or
overshot, will likely trigger non-linear changes that would induce
further warming, and further changes, and further warming-"positive
feedbacks" in the jargon-until the nightmare scenario imagined by
James Lovelock (whom I am very sorry to report is not a crank)
finally comes to pass. And this would make us all, even the rich
among us, very regretful indeed. Lovelock anticipates a warming of
5°C, and argues that humanity's coming challenge will be to organize
a "sustainable retreat" from current lifestyles, a retreat that may
well include a migration of survivors to the poles. Still, according
to Lovelock, there's no need to panic. "We are not all doomed. An
awful lot of people will die, but I don't see the species dying out."5

Not that the 2°C line is given, stable, beyond dispute. We can't, in
particular, say that a lesser warming would be safe. But the critical
issue here is not scientific uncertainty. More to the point is that
climate dangers depend greatly on both wealth and whereabouts. They
can't be averaged across national populations, for these populations
are themselves divided, most fundamentally by money. The rich, by and
large, will be able to insulate themselves from the suffering and the
sorrow, at least for a while. The poor, though largely innocent of
responsibility for the warming, will bear the brunt of its impact.

Holding the Line

What will it take to hold the 2°C line? Given the slow progress to
date, the only honest answer is "a heroic effort." To see just how
heroic such an effort would have to be, consider the three
progressively more ambitious emissions trajectories shown in the
figure below.

The 2ºC Crash Program, its Alternatives, and its Odds

Emissions pathways and concentration pathways for three scenarios-a
"2ºC Crash Program" and typical pathways for 450 ppm or 550 ppm CO2
stabilization-along with the risk of exceeding the 2ºC threshold (as
calculated by Baer and Mastrandrea 2006).

The most stringent of these trajectories, the "2°C Crash Program," is
heroic indeed. It has emissions peaking in 2010 and then dropping at
a resolute 5% per year, thus keeping atmospheric carbon-dioxide
concentrations below 410 parts per million (ppm). Note, then, that
even with this almost inconceivable effort, we'd still be exposed to
an alarming 9-26% risk of exceeding 2ºC degrees.6

Note, too, what this analysis tells us about today's conception of
political realism. The 450 ppm CO2 trajectory, which, until very
recently, most large U.S. climate organizations cited as being both
safe and achievable, is likely to far overshoot 2ºC. And the 550 ppm
trajectory simply can't be taken seriously, at least not as a
defensible mitigation target. It poses a 78-99% risk of exceeding 2ºC
and a 28-71% risk of exceeding 3ºC, making it difficult to maintain
that arguments in favor of 550 ppm are anything more than
irresponsible invitations to catastrophe. Joe Romm, the author of the
http://climateprogress.org/ blog and the fine new book Hell and High
Water, even claims that "there is no '550 ppm' stabilization path
because 550 would destroy the tundra, and take us to 700+ by 2100 and
trigger yet more amplifying feedbacks that would spiral the system
out of control. So we stabilize at or below 450, or ruin the planet
for hundreds if not thousands of years."7 Unfortunately, "realistic"
men and women are still advocating targets in this neighborhood of
550 ppm. Even the UK's much praised Stern Review of the economics of
climate change does so, though in a manner so circumspect that its
authors seem ashamed of their own fatalism.8

New Horizons

It will take a heroic effort and almost unimaginable international
cooperation to hold the 2°C line, but it's probably still physically
possible to do so. Already-existing technologies, if developed and
disseminated with true "global Manhattan Project" urgency, would
support huge, rapid efficiency increases and emissions reductions,9
and buy us time to decarbonize our infrastructures, adopt
lower-consumption lifestyles, and, of course, develop better
technologies. Technology, for its part, can help us save ourselves,
but it's definitely not going to do the job alone. How could it when
the real problem is political, when we need William James' "Moral
Equivalent of War" but suffer instead a slow incrementalism10 that
lags far behind the quickening increase in the atmospheric carbon
concentration?

In the dominant narrative of American climate politics, the idea is
to "build momentum" by pressing forward on every front, to seek small
steps that open into larger ones, to eventually reach the "tipping
point" where the impossible becomes possible, and even inevitable.
It's a good plan too. But it's not an entire plan, and unfortunately
it seems to be the only one that's widely known. Which would perhaps
be fine, if our leaders were basically on the right track, if there
was no need to seriously examine the actual structure of the climate
problem, or to think hard and critically about the almost intractable
problems that any viable framework will eventually have to solve.

But something critical is missing from the consensus approach, and Al
Gore, with his striking concept of "an inconvenient truth," has given
it an ideal name. Let's pick it up, but with this stipulation: the
"inconvenient truth" may well begin with Gore's warning that time is
short, but it goes far further. In fact-and this moves us far beyond
the traditional environmentalist frame-the global climate policy
impasse has everything to do with economic inequality, how that
inequality is increasing around the world, how our prosperity depends
upon the suffering of others (e.g. dirt-cheap Chinese labor), and how
the market, inevitable though it may be, repeatedly fails in
crushing, irreversible ways.

Further, the standoff between the rich and developing worlds will not
yield to an assault composed entirely of incremental, "realistic,"
politically acceptable initiatives. Its logic is too strong, and too
over-determined. At its core lies the implacable reality that we, the
citizens of the rich world, have already consumed the bulk of the
global carbon budget, and there's precious little left for the
citizens of the South. As such, the only way forward quickly enough
is for the rich, who became rich in an open world that no longer
exists, to pay the entire costs of the necessary global crash
program, whatever they may finally be.

Inconvenient, yes. But it's fairly easy to show why this is the case.

What's on the Table

Consider the climate bills, still provisional, that we in the United
States must now rally around: Henry's Waxman's Safe Climate Act,
Senator Jefford's Global Warming Pollution Reduction Act
(reintroduced by Senator Sanders), and, of course, the California
Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006. All are remarkable, and all
define domestic emissions reductions trajectories that are close to
the needed scale. In all, the United States would be required to
freeze its greenhouse gas emissions in 2010. Emissions would then be
cut by roughly 2% per year, returning to 1990 emissions levels by
2020. After 2020, the rate of decrease would rise to the point where
it averaged about 5% per year, so that, by 2050, U.S. emissions would
be 80% lower than they were in 1990.

The "Waxman-Jeffords Trajectory"

The "Waxman-Jeffords" emissions reductions trajectory, plotted
against historical U.S. emissions and the U.S. Energy Information
Administration reference case projection of those emissions.

It's quite amazing that such proposed reductions are actually on the
U.S. political agenda. Indeed, the "Emissions Freeze" movement that
Gore is now talking up would, essentially, be a movement designed to
prepare the ground for this sort of reduction. So even if, in the
short term, the Waxman-Jeffords trajectory doesn't have a snowball's
chance of actually becoming law, its rising prominence is clearly a
sign of the times.

Such signs, alas, are of rather limited interest. What we need is to
make this trajectory real. We need to restructure our economy to
conform to this scenario, hold to it despite powerful and inevitable
backlash, and establish it at the core of a new American dream. All
of which would require unprecedented domestic change, and all of
which will prove quite impossible if domestic change is alone on the
agenda.

Given that the United States no longer stands apart from the winds of
globalization, and given the roiling and dislocation that
Waxman-Jeffords would inevitably bring, it's hard to see how such
domestic sacrifices could be successfully justified-politically,
technologically, culturally, or economically-save against the
background of a global crash program. Even if the Waxman-Jeffords
bill were passed into law, it's hard to see how its goals could be
achieved without an equally ambitious global climate program, if only
because doing so would demand that there be a substantial price on
carbon, a price that, politically and institutionally, could simply
not be imposed in the United States alone.

Such a global crash program would, inevitably, cost the United States
more than domestic action alone. But here's an all-important
difference: the expense-whether it be large or, as Amory Lovins would
have it, surprisingly small-would be entirely legitimate. It would be
the expense of a great nation accepting its proper burden. And it
would not be futile. Indeed it just might be all-important. For
before any kind of global crash program is possible, the United
States will have to return to the global negotiations as a leader
that can legitimately speak for a just and viable climate regime.
After the Bush years, such legitimacy will not come easily. Indeed,
it will require that the United States take meaningful steps toward
meeting its international obligations. And this, for better or worse,
requires more than just reducing U.S. emissions to 80% below their
1990 level by 2050.

What about the Global South?

Want another inconvenient truth? Take a look at this:

The South's Lost Opportunity

Available Southern emissions budget under the 2ºC Crash Program,
plotted against the South's SRES B1 pathway emissions. Note that
Northern emissions are assumed to magically drop to zero in 2020-the
South's budget reflects the entire global emissions budget.11

This figure shows the global carbon emissions trajectory associated
with a 2°C crash program plotted against the developing world's total
emissions, as projected in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change's "B1" scenario. The B1 scenario describes an upbeat and
relatively equitable future in which emissions growth is actually
quite modest when compared to any likely variant of business as
usual. And yet, even so, the South's emissions alone take us hurtling
far into the danger zone in only about 15 years!

This comparison strikingly demonstrates that any truly precautionary
global emissions trajectory is radically inconsistent with even this
optimistic reference projection of Southern emissions. We'll have to
do much better, and soon. If we're to avoid a terrifying future in
which temperature change overshoots 2°C, then Southern emissions are
going to have to be somehow curbed, even while the South and its
people are still struggling out of poverty, while food security,
safe-water, and basic health care are still routinely out of reach
for billions of people.

The developing world is well aware of this problem, which is why
Southern negotiators have repeatedly insisted that they'll refuse any
climate treaty that threatens to "lock in" global poverty and
inequality. Nor is there any reason to think that this is an idle
bluff or a mere bargaining position. Take it, rather, as a warning,
and a prod to consider the challenge here-what kind of climate regime
can possibly suffice? What kind of climate regime can square the
circle of development, enabling rapid global emissions declines even
while enabling the South to continue, and step up, its fight against
poverty?

The Ultimate Constraint

There really are "limits to growth." These limits are not as simple
as folks thought back when the phrase first came into currency, but
they're real nonetheless. The "atmospheric space"12 really is about
gone. We in the "industrialized world" really did use most of it up
in the last couple of centuries. We can pump a few hundred more
gigatons of carbon into the air and still hold the line at 2°C, but
that's about it. And if we overshoot the line, we're going to have a
devil of a time returning to it. Meanwhile, the suffering and the
damage caused by the changing climate is going to get much worse as
we approach 2°C. Which we're almost certainly going to do, if only
because billions of people in the developing world are determined to
improve their lives by any means necessary, and because, just now,
this tends to mean carbon-based energy production.

I can't read the future, but I can read graphs. It's clear that, if
we're going to avoid a climate catastrophe, it's going to be by way
of an overshoot-and-decline trajectory whereby we enter the hot zone
as late as humanly possible and leave it before the temperature rises
enough to set off irreversible positive feedbacks (like, say, a
massive pulse of methane from the melting Arctic permafrost). Global
emissions will therefore have to peak soon-yesterday wouldn't be too
soon-and then go into a long, rapid, and sustained decline. Our
common future, in other words, lies in low-emissions trajectories
that economists in particular (though we can't blame everything on
economists) find not only inconvenient but positively absurd.

Achieving a low-emissions trajectory will require breaking the global
impasse. And this is only going to happen within a climate regime
that takes due account of the real logic of our bitterly divided
civilization. Such a climate regime must improve the lives of the
poor by widening the focus from decarbonization to ensure that, even
under an extremely constraining low-emissions trajectory, the South
is able to make real progress in its drive for development and that
the vulnerable, in the floodplains of New Orleans and the deserts of
Sudan, are protected from the now-inevitable inundations and droughts.

This climate regime-whether embodied in the UN's Framework Convention
on Climate Change, in the Kyoto Protocol, in the "Kyoto Plus"
agreement that our representatives are supposed, even at this moment,
to be actively negotiating-must spare the South from making the
impossible choice between climate protection on the one hand and
"development" on the other.

The real need here is what might be called a Global New Deal. Like
the original, it would focus on stabilizing and improving the lives
of the vulnerable, restless poor. But this time the
institution-building and the politics would be global, and the
background crisis-the threat that demands cooperation and, by so
doing, animates the whole effort-would be as much social-ecological
as it is socio-economic. But having said this, I should be clear. My
point isn't to call for a climate regime as a global new deal, but to
argue, along with many others, that such a new deal is desperately
needed, and to add that any viable global climate regime must be a
step in the same general direction. And if this implies that any
viable global climate regime must make significant demands on the
rich-and it does-this should not be taken as an invitation to
despair, as if it pushed meaningful climate protection even further
out of reach. Just the contrary. Rich-world tolerance for the
suffering of the poor is a big part of the problem and could become
fatally poisonous in the years ahead. To get our arms around the
climate crisis, we will have to know ourselves to be "in this
together." If we don't, we're not going to make it. This, moreover,
is not merely my personal view. The elites, in the United States, as
in Brussels and Brasilia and Beijing, can see it just as clearly as
do I, and when they are moved to look, they do.

Going Global

During the last five or so years, the U.S. climate movement has
generally held itself aloof from international matters. It hasn't
just avoided linking the climate battle too closely to the related
battles over globalization, trade, and international economic
institutions. It has also turned away from the international climate
battle itself-the one that's centered in the global climate talks and
the nascent mechanisms of the Kyoto Protocol-in favor of a strategy
of local, state, and regional action. Not that this has not been a
bad move. The Bush regime, after all, has spent this same time doing
all it could to deadlock or destroy the global negotiations, so what,
really, beyond rear-guard opposition, could the U.S. climate movement
have hoped to contribute? And the U.S. movement's turn to the
domestic has been a big success. Because local and state and regional
climate regimes are proliferating, real climate regulation is finally
on the national agenda.

But success has its dangers. We may, in particular, ride this horse
so long that, even as global deadlock emerges as the critical issue,
American climate strategists simply maintain their almost exclusive
focus on domestic campaigns designed to win national legislation.
It's a real danger, and must be taken seriously, for such a
U.S.-centric strategy would almost certainly fail.

Consider the intensifying battle for meaningful U.S. climate
legislation, where echoes can already be heard of 1997's battle of
Kyoto, which the U.S. climate movement emphatically lost to a
well-funded industry campaign designed to argue that the Kyoto
Protocol was "unfair" and "would not work." And consider that, just
like last time, we'll soon be taking lots of heat from politicians,
including Democrats, who argue that overly ambitious strategies
threaten, in the pungent words of House Energy and Commerce Committee
chair John Dingell, to "destitute American industry."

Facing such a mire, U.S. climate activists might be tempted to argue
that if "we" take responsibility for "our" emissions, then the
Chinese, along with the rest of the developing world, should also
take responsibility for "theirs." It would be an easy way to go, for
Chinese emissions are now projected to exceed U.S. emissions by 2009,
a full decade earlier than previously expected. And with China now
being routinely framed as a rising economic and even political
threat-a new adversary for a new century-Washington could well come
to tie U.S. emissions reductions to similar reductions by Beijing.

Such a strategy, however, would be fraught with peril. Approached
naively, it could both undermine U.S. credibility abroad and-an
unwelcome bonus-thicken the fogs here at home. For though U.S.
climate groups have done far too little to help the American people
understand this simple fact, aggregate national emissions
statistics-the ones by which China will soon surpass the United
States-are often extremely misleading. When it comes to the politics
of climate and, in particular, the politics of "international burden
sharing," clarity begins instead with the more basic truth revealed
by per-capita numbers. It is these numbers that lead us to zero in on
the core divide at the center of the climate impasse, the one between
the rich and the poor.

Development, Capacity, and Need

Even after four decades on the Waxman-Jeffords diet, the American
people would still be emitting four times more than their share of
the global emissions budget associated with a 2°C crash program-by
the not-unreasonable calculations behind the graph below.13 It plots
the Waxman-Jeffords trajectory against the emissions trajectory
associated with a 2°C crash program, and shows both in per-capita
terms:

Waxman-Jeffords vs. the 2°C Crash Program, in Per-Capita Terms

Per-capita emissions projections for both the Waxman-Jeffords
trajectory and the 2°C crash program.

The point here is not to say that Waxman-Jeffords isn't a strict U.S.
emissions reduction trajectory, but only that domestic reductions
can't possibly be the whole story, not in terms of U.S. obligations
within a global climate regime that's fair enough to be viable.

And per-capita metrics are only part of the story. There's also
historical responsibility, another measure by which U.S. emissions
are far, far higher than Chinese. There are more subtle
considerations, peculiar to the globalized economy of manufacture.
Every time a corporation imports an ingot or a TV or a toy from
China, it imports as well the carbon that is "embodied" in it, carbon
for which no one today, Chinese or American, takes one whit of
responsibility.

China's drive to become the world's manufacturing center has driven
it far up the "value chain" to the point where it now, quite
inescapably, competes on almost every front. Following the larger
trajectory of the Chinese economy, China's power sector is booming at
a sustained rate of over 30 gigawatts, and more recently by far over
50 gigawatts, per year.14 In fact, and despite the fact that
rich-world politicians twist it into a justification for inaction,
China's emissions really are rising to the point where they even
threaten gains being made elsewhere.15

To understand this rise properly, we have to avoid the temptation to
"blame" China for its burgeoning emissions and focus instead on the
fundamental truth that, despite its aggressive commitment to
export-led development and despite even its highly publicized
enclaves of urban wealth, China remains a poor country. This is the
real key to the Chinese climate challenge, but it only becomes clear
when we turn away from gigawatts and emissions to focus instead on
income (emissions, after all, are only a by-product of economic
activity, not its goal). Consider these charts, which are designed to
highlight the national capacities and needs that are so bitterly at
issue in the climate debate.

"Capacity/Need Distribution Chart" for the United States

Capacity/Need Distribution Chart for the United States, calculated
for 2005 income data and an indicative "Development Threshold" of $US
7,000 per person per year (PPP adjusted).

"Capacity/Need Distribution Chart" for China

Capacity/Need Distribution Chart for China, calculated for 2005
income data and an indicative "Development Threshold" of $US 7,000
per person per year (PPP adjusted).

These "Capacity/Need Distribution Charts" show both a country's
capacity and its development need distributed across income
percentiles and relative to a development threshold that approximates
a global middle-class standard of life. This development threshold is
taken, for illustrative purposes, as $7,000 per person per year
(adjusted for purchasing power parity). Thus, a country's
capacity/need distribution is defined by the income required to
"develop" its entire population (shown as a horizontal line that
marks an aggregate income of $7,000 times the national population)
and an intersecting curve that represents the national income
distribution. The green area above the development threshold
represents the nation's capacity and indicates its ability to pay for
human development, adaptation, or climate mitigation. Below it, in
red, you see the national development need, the amount that it would
take, as Martin Luther King used to say, to "lift up" all the people,
at least to the relatively minimal standard of life defined by the
indicative $7,000 development threshold.

These two graphs tell two very different stories. The obvious point
is that China, as noted above, is still relatively poor. Its capacity
is small when compared to its own development need, and very small
when compared to the capacity of the United States, which is far
higher in both absolute and per-capita terms. And China is hardly the
extreme case. India, to give another critical example, has a capacity
that's only about 1/100th the size of its development need.

"Capacity/Need Distribution Chart" for India

Capacity/Need Distribution Chart for India, calculated for 2005
income data and an indicative "Development Threshold" of $US 7,000
per person per year (PPP adjusted).

The point? That despite all the many excellent criticisms of the
export-led development model, the South's priority will remain
development for some time. All else being equal, its emissions will
continue to rise rapidly. Certainly India has its responsibilities
and China should step up its (already real) pursuit of efficiency and
mitigation. But it is unrealistic to expect either country to
prioritize climate mitigation at the expense of economic growth. Even
the threat of catastrophe-one that's real and distinctive in both
China and India-will not change this dynamic.

If we're to avoid a catastrophe, then the Chinese-and the Indians,
and the South Africans, and the Brazilians, and the Mexicans, and the
Indonesians, and all the rest of the people of the "big poor
countries" at a minimum-are going to have to embark, in good and
earnest faith, on a crash program of economic decarbonization. But
this is only going to happen if the rich countries pay the costs of
that crash program. A global climate regime must not only drive
efficiency and clean technology, but also enable human development
and poverty alleviation, and by so doing gain friends, and momentum,
throughout the world.

This means in practice that the South, which has lost the opportunity
to develop along the fossil-intensive path pioneered by the North,
must be guaranteed the right to develop in a new way, one that's
consistent with the imperative of stabilizing the climate system.
This claim, moreover, is not fundamentally ethical but realist.
Something like this "greenhouse development right" is needed to break
the global impasse over developmental equity in a climate-constrained
world.

And this is the real inconvenient truth.

Justice as Realism

Climate change is now manifestly an emergency, but the dramatic
response is nowhere on the horizon. Instead, and despite a thickening
flurry of efforts designed to find ways forward, the international
drive for a viable global climate regime is settling into a terrible
impasse. This impasse, moreover, will not be broken without active
U.S. leadership. That, as any realist will gladly tell you, is still
how the world works.

Before the United States can hope to provide such leadership,
however, it will have to accept its proper obligations within an
international regime that takes due account of not only the scale and
severity of the climate threat but also the realities of unequal
development and the imperatives of poverty alleviation. For the
United States is, above all else, rich. And if the rich world does
not provide what the former head of the Chinese negotiating team Gao
Feng once called "the ways and means" to reduce carbon emissions in
the developing world, there isn't going to be a global regime at all.

The focal issue is not actually the climate crisis, but rather the
climate crisis as it comes to us on this bitterly divided planet, and
the consequent need for the rich nations to fund and otherwise
support mitigation efforts in the developing world. This challenge,
moreover, is coming to be widely recognized. Even the UK's celebrated
Stern Review, which worked hard to be realistic, argued that the rich
world would have to pay for decarbonization in the developing world:

"There is no single formula that captures all dimensions of equity,
but calculations based on income, per capita emissions, and historic
responsibility all point to developed countries taking responsibility
for emissions reductions of at least 60% from 1990 levels by 2050."

It's clear from the context, by the way, that this means taking
responsibility for global emissions reductions.16 It has to. Because
if the rich countries don't take such responsibility, then, frankly,
their domestic clean-energy campaigns will prove largely futile, for
the very simple reason that the bulk of new emissions will be coming
from the developing world.

It's a tough problem, not least because the climate crisis is only
part of it. The larger part, as always, is the problem of economic
justice. Still, the climate crisis will concentrate our efforts, and
our minds, by demanding a new kind of realism, one that allows us to
rise to the occasion. And this must be its first postulate: only
global solidarity can offer a sufficient basis for the global
cooperation we need. Without it, nothing will be possible. Without
it, nothing will work.

Will the American people accept, and even embrace, the new vision of
America's role in the world that we so desperately need? The climate
crisis can help us to do so. Neither peace nor sustainability is
possible without justice. As Howard Dean put it, "Moral values are an
important part of foreign policy." This claim, moreover, has a great
deal to do with the climate crisis. The key will now be to articulate
the moral challenges of the climate crisis and to link these to the
other crises now all around us. To do so, we have to focus on the
links that bind the climate crisis to that of rising economic
inequality, for this, really, is the essential fact of modern
political life. If we're to succeed, we have to recognize this, and
stop trying to finesse the simple truth: only by attacking climate
and inequality together can we hope to find a new solidarity for the
21st century, and thus a way forward.

End Notes

1.      James E. Hansen, Can We Still Avoid Dangerous Human-Made
Climate Change?, a presentation given Feb. 10, 2006, at the New
School University's Social Research Conference, New York. See
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1 for the PDF and accompanying slides.
For a more formal analysis, see James Hansen, Makiko Sato, Reto
Ruedy, Ken Lo, David W. Lea, and Martin Medina-Elizade, "Global
Temperature Change," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
of the United States of America, contributed July 31, 2006 and
published online on September 31, 2006. Open access download at
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprintframed/0606291103v1?.
2.      See for example, Hansen, et. al. op. cit: "If global warming
is not limited to <1°C [from the present temperature] feedbacks may
add to BAU emissions, making a "different planet," including eventual
ice-free Arctic, almost inevitable."
3.      For an authoritative review of the issues around sea-level
rise, see Ice Sheets and Sea Level Rise: Model Failure is the Key
Issue, by Princeton's Michael Oppenheimer. At
www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2006/06/ice-sheets-and-sea-leve
l-rise-model-failure-is-the-key-issue/#more-315 .
4.      A recent study found that one of the most reliable predictors
of civil war is lack of rain, so the threat here is particularly
acute in Africa. Rainfall in the sub-Saharan region has declined 25%
in the last 30 years, and the number of food emergencies in Africa
each year has tripled since the mid-1980s. Says policy analyst
Francis Kornegay in Johannesburg, South Africa: "You have climate
change and reduced rainfall and shrinking areas of arable land; and
then you add population growth and you have the elements of an
explosion." Scott Baldauf, "Africans are already facing climate
change," Christian Science Monitor, November 6, 2006. See also
Stephen J. Dubner and Steven D. Levitt, "The Price of Climate
Change," The New York Times Magazine, November 5, 2006.
5.      The book is The Revenge of Gaia. This "sustainable retreat"
rap is also in Andrew Revkin's "A Conversation With James E.
Lovelock: Updating Prescriptions for Avoiding Worldwide Catastrophe,"
published in The New York Times on September 12, 2006.
6.      These calculations are made with rigorous probabilistic
techniques that require as an input subjective expert opinion about
the uncertainty of various parameters. Because there is a range of
reasonable assumptions that can be made about key parameters, the
calculated risk must be reported as a range.
7.      Personal communication (December 26, 2006). To follow it up,
see Hell and High Water: Global Warming-the Solution and the
Politics-and What We Should Do (William Morrow, 2006), pp. 68-75. The
issue here is known by scientists as "carbon cycle feedbacks," as in
"There appears to be a threshold beyond which it becomes more and
more difficult for us to fight the feedbacks of the carbon cycle with
strong energy policies that reduce fossil fuel emissions into the
air," (p 73).
8.      For much more on the Stern Review, see The Worth of an Ice
Sheet by EcoEquity's Research Director Paul Baer, at
www.ecoequity.org/docs/WorthOfAnIceSheet.pdf. Baer's argument, in a
nutshell, is that Stern's treatment of "catastrophic damages" clearly
fails to reflect any reasonable treatment of catastrophic risks like
starting the irreversible melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet, that he
therefore has in no way established the "marginal benefits" of
reductions to concentrations below 450 ppm CO2, and that his
effective dismissal of the widely endorsed "2ºC limit" can therefore
be rejected on his own cost-benefit terms. Note that this critique
does not, in principle, invalidate Stern's chief claim-that the cost
of the impacts of unmitigated warming would be far higher than the
costs of mitigation-though it does make the story a bit more
complicated.
9.      Joe Romm is excellent on this point. See Hell and High Water, op cit.
10.     Examples include a project-based "clean development
mechanism" riddled with fatal baseline problems, emissions-trading
systems designed to placate corporations and keep the price of carbon
low, and, in truth, the Kyoto Protocol itself. The future threatens
numerous weak domestic bills like Jeff Bingaman's and, globally, the
likelihood that the post-Kyoto system will fail to even prefigure the
regime needed in the developing world.
11.     Many of the ideas in this essay were developed collectively
within EcoEquity, the small activist think tank of which I am a
principal. Note, in particular, that EcoEquity has been working for
years to develop a policy framework adequate to the climate
challenge, and that, together with England's Christian Aid, we're now
in the process of rolling one out. We call it "Greenhouse Development
Rights." For (much) more on this evolving story, see
www.ecoequity.org/GDRs or, more particularly, the paper which we
prepared for the recent Nairobi meeting of the climate negotiations:
Greenhouse Development Rights: An approach to the global climate
regime that takes climate protection seriously while also preserving
the right to human development. It can be downloaded at
www.ecoequity.org/GDRs/GDRs_Nairobi.pdf.
12.     The term "atmospheric space" is a variant of "environmental
space," a term introduced some years ago by analysts associated with
Friends of the Earth International. See for example Michael Carley
and Philippe Spapens, Sharing the World: Sustainable Living and
Global Equity in the 21st Century, Earthscan, 1998.
13.     The projection here was developed as part of the quantitative
analysis supporting the Greenhouse Development Rights project. For
more information, contact Paul Baer, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
14.     Nor is this growth expected to abate soon. And China,
unfortunately, has a great deal of cheap, dirty coal, and very little
low-carbon energy. Natural gas is not in great supply, and even Three
Gorges, China's highly contested foray into mega-hydro, will only
produce about 21 gigawatts, less than half of one year's growth.
Figures are from Jim William's "Developments in Asian Electricity:
Reform, Politics, Environment," U.C. Berkeley, February 25, 2005.
15.     A good source for the canonical data, as time goes by, is the
U.S. Energy Information Administration. See
www.eia.doe.gov/environment.html and click the "Total Emissions" link
to get a current spreadsheet.
16.     This quote is in the long version of the executive summary,
and also chapter 22, " Creating a Global Price for Carbon." For the
context, see especially page 460 in section 21.4: "Building and
sustaining coordinated global action on climate change," which talks
explicitly about developed country financing for emissions reductions
in the developing world.

Foreign Policy In Focus contributor Tom Athanasiou is the executive
director of EcoEquity. He can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED] The
full report on which this essay is based is available at
http://www.ecoequity.org/.