Hello Terry

>Hi Kirk,
>
>If all of us did what we should be doing our houses would be one
>room heated with Geo Thermal, hot water and electricity by solar and
>we would walk or bike almost everywere

This:

>and we would be totally Vegan.

... is nonsense, as we've established quite thoroughly many times.
Please go to the archives and check it out.

There is no way of raising crops sustainably without using livestock
in the production system. No vegetarian farming system has ever
survived the test of time.

Please don't argue about it until you've checked it out, no need to
go over the same old ground yet another time.

>The Union of Concerned Scientists reports that because of the amount
>of Methane gas caused from feed lots, etc. that the total of all
>livestock on this planet is equivalent to taking 33 million cars of
>the road.

"Feed lots, etc"? What does the "etc" mean?

I'm sure the amount of GHGs emitted by trees etc is even worse,
should we cut them all down too?

"Do trees share blame for global warming?"
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0119/p13s01-sten.html
"Globally, living plants may contribute from 10 to 30 percent of
global methane emissions."

I haven't seen the UCS report you mention, would you give us a
reference or a link please?

Anyway you're talking about feedlots, CAFOs, Confined Animal Feeding
Operations, industrialised factory farms. No CAFOs no meat? That's
the same mistake enviros make when they attack fuel ethanol because
they don't like Archer Daniel Midlands and Cargill. There are other
ways of doing things, as we ought to know by now.

There've been a number of high-profile critiques of industrial meat
production and global warming, this is the main one:

http://www.virtualcentre.org/en/library/key_pub/longshad/A0701E00.htm
Livestock's long shadow - Environmental issues and options
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations

Feedlot cattle, pigs and poultry eat industrialised grain, produced
with high dependence on fossil-fuel inputs and at high environmental
cost, and the same applies to the CAFO livestock production system
itself. Check out how carbon-neutral industrialised grain turns out
to be. Pastured livestock eat forage.

With CAFOs most of the methane emissions result from the manure
storage, especially in with pigs. With pastured livestock, especially
with rotational pasture, the manure provides the soil fertility to
produce multiple following crops, displaces the need for fossil-fuel
based chemical fertilisers, and does so at a healthy profit. Such
pasture soils sequester very large amounts of carbon.

I think the meat industry would account for a lot more than a paltry
33 million cars' worth of GHGs. Well so what, it doesn't have any
future anyway, any more than the rest of the industrial agriculture
disaster does. It's fossil-fuel dependent every step of the way, and
measured in food miles that comes to a hell of a long way. It'll bust
all their bottom-lines when carbon accounting starts hitting the
global trade it depends on, the insane distribution system, the
processing. Apart from all of which CAFOs have become a major
bio-hazard.

No need for it anyway. The future is small, sustainable, family-run
mixed farms with integrated crop and livestock production, low input,
high output, local markets.

Best

Keith