  From: D. Mindock
  To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
  Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:47 AM
  Subject: [Biofuel] Germans take pride in local money

  <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6333063.stm>

  Germans take pride in local money
  By Tristana Moore
  BBC News, Magdeburg, Germany

  The next time you venture out for lunch in
  Magdeburg, check what kind of loose change you have in your wallet.

  Like any other city in Germany, the normal
  currency here is the euro. But bizarrely, they
  also have another currency in circulation: the Urstromtaler .

  Before you doubt its existence, it is not
  "Monopoly" money - it is very real. At a
  jewellery shop in the city centre, Gerfried
  Kliems explained how people use the regional currency.

  "It's quite simple," he said. "The money you
  spend stays in the region. When I accept
  Urstromtaler in my shop, I then have to see how I
  can spend the local banknotes. You get to know
  everyone who's participating in this project, and
  at the end of the day, you have a good feeling about life."

  More than 200 businesses are using the regional
  currency, including shops, bakeries, florists,
  restaurants. There is even a cinema which accepts Urstromtaler.

  'Local boost'

  Frank Jansky, a lawyer, launched the regional
  currency in Magdeburg. "We are fostering links
  with businesses in the whole region and through
  the contacts that we develop, we are supporting
  the domestic German market," he said.

  "All the businesses have signed contracts, and
  it's official. We have our own banknotes and we
  have an issuing office in the city centre."

  At the Urstromtaler "central bank" in Magdeburg,
  which is no larger than a small office, the
  banknotes are issued at a rate of 1:1 against the euro.

  The banknotes have a time limit and lose value
  after a certain date, so people are encouraged to spend their money quickly.

  Campaigners argue that the currency can help boost the local economy.

  The unemployment rate in Magdeburg is about 20%,
  and like other areas in the former communist
  east, many young people have left to look for work elsewhere.

  Dilapidated, run-down houses and old factories
  still dot the landscape, even though billions of
  euros' worth of subsidies have poured into the
  east since the fall of communism.

  "Everyone who uses the regional currency develops
  a social network. People get to know each other," said Joerg Dahlke.

  "It's also good for the environment, as you are
  not buying goods from big supermarket chains who
  import their goods. Instead you are buying
  products from regional producers," he said.
  The Bundesbank is keeping an eye on what we are
  doing - regional currencies are still in a legal grey area
  Frank Jansky

  It is easy to dismiss the regional currency as a
  gimmick, but supporters take it very seriously.

  "We are disillusioned with the euro, as it
  doesn't bring many benefits to the local
  community," said Joerg Dahlke. "But at the same
  time, we don't want to get rid of the euro completely.

  "Our regional currency runs in parallel to the
  euro. Of course, we still need the euro for big purchases," he explained.

  Residents can choose to pay one-third of their
  purchase in the local currency, and the rest in
  euros, or sometimes they can pay for their purchase entirely in Urstromtaler.

  The phenomenon is not limited to the state of Saxony-Anhalt.

  'Social money'

  Regional currencies have sprung up all over Germany.

  According to Professor Gerhard Roesl, author of a
  report commissioned by the Bundesbank, there are
  at least 16 regional currencies in Germany.

  "The regional currencies are not really a threat
  to the Bundesbank, although technically they are
  illegal and could pose a problem. The Bundesbank
  tolerates the local currencies, which are
  regarded as a kind of 'social money'," said Mr Roesl.

  Frank Jansky and representatives of other
  regional currency projects are lobbying the
  federal government to introduce a change in the law.

  "The Bundesbank is keeping an eye on what we are
  doing. Regional currencies are still in a legal
  grey area. But there are other comparable
  financial schemes, like 'miles and more', which
  also pose a challenge to the status quo," said Mr Jansky.

  "We are supporting our regional economy and
  culture, which will benefit future generations."

  And in case anyone thinks it's an old-fashioned
  system, they have now launched an online banking
  system for the regional currency in Magdeburg.

  Story from BBC NEWS:

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/6333063.stm>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/6333063.stm

  Published: 2007/02/06 14:09:06 GMT

  © BBC MMVII
  The individual is supreme and finds its way through intuition.

  Sepp Hasslberger