I suppose they should have said dihydrogen dioxide
http://www.seedman.com/additive.htm
  As for use in immune system I think macrophages have been observed sending a
blast of h2o2 at an invader. I would like to see some % of improvement numbers
myself re plants. But I have heard it before elsewhere as well.
Googling hydrogen peroxide macrophage produced over 500k hits - didnt have time
to peruse them unfortunately.
  Kirk
Thomas Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          Kirk,
       Where did you get this information?
       I'm curious about increased crop yield and your statement that "our body
produces H202 to fight infections when we are sick".

  You wrote:
  "Hydrogen peroxide should really be called hydrogen dioxide."

       Hydrogen dioxide would be HO2  (as Carbon Dioxide is CO2). Hydrogen
peroxide refers to the fact that there is one Hydrogen atom per each oxygen
  atom.

       Plant and animal cells make H2O2 as a result of the breakdown of purines
  (nitrogen bases  ....  the A's and G's in DNA/RNA) and also when
photosnthetic plant cells carry on photorespiration. H2O2 is extremely toxic to
living cells, and so the reactions that produce it occur in cell organelles
called peroxisomes. The peroxisomes contain an enzyme called catalase that
immediately breaks down the H2O2 into water and oxygen gas, preventing any
damage to the cell.
       The presence of the enzyme catalase in plant and animal cells can be
demonstrated by putting a small piece of cut, uncooked tissue  .... apple,
potato, carrot, beef, chicken, etc. in a sample of 3% H2O2. The bubbles
observed are Oxygen gas released by the catalyzed breakdown of the H2O2.
  (The same thing happens at a cut).

       H2O2 is an oxidizer. 3% is used as an antiseptic, 6% will bleach hair
and clothing. 35% H2O2 (very dangerous) diluted 5 oz in 20 gal of water ~
.07%H2O2. 35% H2O2 diluted 16 oz in 20 gal of water ~ .22% H2O2.
       I would like to know the benefit to plants. (20 gallons of very dilute
H2O2 per acre ..... antimicrobial active on plant surfaces?)

       Farming can be a very dangerous occupation. Aside from dangers of
working with machinery, often when bone-tired, some farmers expose themselves
(and us) to herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, and dangerous inorganic
fertilizers including anhydrous ammonia. Adding 35% H2O2 to the list causes
some concern.
       If the the very dilute H2O2 is acting as an antimicrobial, I would like
to know if the increased yield would be observed in healthy plants growing on
compost-enriched soil.
                                                     Tom