Keith Addison a écrit :
> (...)
>
>> Keith,
>>
>> If you want a more permanent means of predator dissuasion, the Pastore
>> Maremmano dog is an excellent guard for pigs, sheep, goats, chickens and
>> donkeys.
>>

> Well, I'd like that. I once had a Pyrenean mountain dog, much the
> same as a Maremma, very nice indeed, but these dogs are huge! They
> weigh in at about 50kg, it'd eat us out of house and home. The idea
> is to protect our meat-producers, but I think they might eat more
> meat than they'd protect.
>
> Actually we considered a dog a while back, though nothing so
> enormous, but we ruled it out. A dog is more of a commitment than
> we're prepared to make. We're not sure how long we'll be in this
> place, nor even in Japan, for that matter. I doubt it would work very
> well anyway, there are lots of small fields here, fenced, with birds
> in any three or four of them, the dog couldn't be in all of them at
> once. Nor in three hutches at night which raccoons or a weasel could
> attack. And it wouldn't protect hatchlings from crows. Also this
> place is too small for such a beast, it's only about 800 sq metres.

(...)

Bonjour,

The great pyrenean dog ( http://www.greatpyr.com/ ) is used only as a
guardian against predators threats.
reach 60 kg ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrenean_Mountain_Dog ), and
is back in the moutain as brown bears are reintroduced.
Shepherds  use another dog to help them to lead the cattle, that is
another sense of "to guard" for me (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrenean_Shepherd )

I have no dog but geese are also very efficient and careless.

frantz