Yeah -- same reason that independent suspension handles better than solid
axles I guess -- because you've got less unsprung weight.

How about a single motor built onto a differential, driving two drive axles
out to the wheels.  Same concept as a regular front wheel drive vehical, but
without the transmission part.  Actually, I think that's what the OEM
electric pickups that Ford and GM made used.  Those handled amazingly for a
pickup truck, but I think that was because they actually had weight on the
rear wheels from the battery pack - nothing to do with the electric drive.