From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Friday, 11 May, 2007 8:14:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Gas prices - & government hot air - making drivers fume

>I'm sure the article is a get-up.
>
>But you can find similar sentiment on the Internet just about everywhere.

Sure you can find it on the Internet just about everywhere. So why
couldn't this guy? What we're left with is some poor-quality
apocryphal nonsense plus I suppose Ben Radstein's opinion, FWIW. Why
not do it for real? Radstein says he's a staff reporter. A reporter
would have done some interviews. "It's the real news!" claims The
UNCOVEROR, where Radstein works. The UNCOVEROR's "About" page says
it's a "journal of political satire, news parody, and comic farce...
Names are invented, except when public figures are lampooned." Real
news, right. Real what, actually? Infotainment?

What is your Conceptual Continuity?
It should be easy to see
The crux of the biscuit is the Apostrophe
(Fido the dog)

http://eatthestate.org/
Eat the State! (May 10, 2007)
Volume 11, #18    May 10, 2007

Our Relationship with Reality

by John A. Johnson

People love a good story. Something that will take them out of their
own head for awhile, make them laugh, get inspired, or even make them
feel heroic and courageous. All from the comfort of the chair they're
sitting on.

People also don't like bad news, negative situations, or anything
that's going to harsh their buzz or challenge their core values.
People like their everyday reality to be pleasant, if possible, at at
least affirming and validating of what they already believe.

It's understandable that people turn to diversions when they've had
enough reality. And, there are legions of people out there ready to
provide those diversions. We call them "entertainers."

The computer age is an interesting time for people who want
diversion. It's possible to plug in to whatever you want any time day
or night. In fact, we have a population which has grown accustomed to
ready access to all of these things, and is quite comfortable with
the world of electronic media of all types. The emphasis many people
put on their diversions makes you wonder if they've sort of swapped
out reality for something they like more. Something that doesn't jar
their belief system. Something that isn't too threatening. A picture
of things they're comfortable with. Brought to you by Our Sponsor.

The news and information industries in our culture have always been
closely allied with the entertainment people, and the news people
have taken more than a few pages from the entertainment peoples'
playbook, as evidenced by the many models with great hair and pouty
lips who deliver the "news." Needing to cultivate a following of both
consumers and advertisers, "the news" seems to have formulated a
product that keeps everyone happy and coming back for more.

American politics thrives on the presence of bogeymen. For the most
part, we're happy to let most things--even the really important
ones--roll right off us until something spooks us. Then we sit up
straight and pay attention. Since ours is a diverse culture, there's
a different bogeyman for every group, ready to appear on cue. Our
culture seems to be content consuming media yarns of bogeymen doing
bad things. As a result of this mass-scale "swallowing it," there is
no shortage of heads planted straight up bums. Let's take a look at
some of it.

Plenty of spit and ink have been spent describing and making fun of
how dumb the "RightTards" are. Mostly, these are playground-style
arguments, little better than one side saying that the other has
kooties. The right seems to be all about guns, God and gays, and
barely-concealed racism. They also appear to be conducting a war
against the environment, and don't care for those who read books or
wear nice pants.

One of the Left's bogeymen is the smelly, pus-filled center of
neocon-style Republicanism. Ann Coulter is a favorite targets.
Nothing too outrageous for her to say or write, and nothing that
won't get the Left's undies in a bunch. Works every time! Many Dems
and Liberals believe that bad guys have taken over the government and
are the sole cause of all problems. Swap those rascals out for some
proper Green Tea-drinking Liberals, and all ills will be washed away.
The Left also likes to talk a lot about the other side's obsession
with silly religious beliefs and various sexual hangups as having a
direct causal relationship with what's going on here politically.

And perhaps the crown jewel of silliness on the part of Left
"pundits" is that the real reason we're fighting never-ending
resource wars is that the 'president' hates his daddy and wants his
mommy, and has a need to play dress-up. Oh, and by the way, he talks
to his Special Little Friend, can't pronounce the word "nuclear," and
he's really, really dumb, which makes the whole thing that much worse.

Here are a couple of stings.

We are fighting never-ending resource wars as a direct result of the
way we live. A gang of corporatistas is running our country because
of the way we insist on living. We are strapped to an untenable
economic model which demands never-ending growth, limitless profits.
We demand great jobs, cheap prices, non-stop comfort and an endless
supply of consumer goodies which we buy, discard, and buy again as
though it is our birthright to squander the very planet we live on.

Even those who should know better spread the fiction that the key to
solving our environmental problems is simply to switch the type of
fuel that powers the amusement park. That it isn't our profligate
self-indulgence which has brought on imminent environmental failure;
it's the FUEL that's wrong, man!

Basically, in This Land, baby wants its bottle, and things are set up
to make sure we get it anytime we want, and to prevent us from
feeling any real consequences that might make us take a hard look at
what the real causes of our problems are.

Consumerism and self-indulgence drive the Machine, enabling big
business to run things the way that works best for it. Consumerism
causes us to wage war to keep the toys and comfort in steady supply,
and has been elevated to the level of Patriotic Duty.

Even as the elements of what some have called a Perfect Storm of
environmental, economic and military catastrophe loom, we are still
head-up-our-bums with externalizing our self-made problems, laying
the blame on "the bad guys" who've hijacked our fair democracy.

What it cooks down to is this. If your house is on fire, do you make
snotty remarks about how the impudent fire has inconvenienced you?
Or, do you grab your loved ones, get your asses outside, and engage
in some intelligent, productive activity, like calling the fire
department or grabbing a bucket of water? (C) 2007 John A. Johnson