There's nothing quite like the smell of soil and the wonder of watching things grow. I've written before that I find the optimism of this season altogether refreshing when contrasted against the myriad of woes the world is facing, and what's most distressing about our problems is that they are largely self-inflicted! Changes in lifestyle that are necessary against the backdrop of climate change, consumerism and the mindless pursuit of excess are difficult because of the pervasive influence of "spin" that we have discussed many times in this forum. I'd like to add that sloth plays a role in this as well, and few things illustrate this better than my recent experience with a mechanical tiller . . .

I use a gasoline powered rotovator to till my garden. It makes quick work of the job, which in my case happens to be a large plot of weed-infested soil on a north facing slope behind the house. I could, and probably SHOULD, do this by hand, but laziness gets the best of me and every year I find my feet standing at the counter of a local "rent it" center to obtain a machine for work that could be done with a shovel. My waistline would benefit. My cardiovascular system would benefit. I might even derive a measure of pride in a job well done, knowing that I've done a small thing to avoid adding to atmospheric carbon loading.

But I'm weak-willed and perhaps, a little bit lazy. So I picked up the machine last night. Since the days are lengthening around here and my last student happens to be off in Toronto right now, I thought I'd get the job done in the early evening, before sundown. But I couldn't get the rotovator to work. It would start and run for a minute or two, then simply die . . . For the most part I get along with machines and equipment pretty well. I've tinkered with engines for years, and the supercharger project that has brought new life to my 2.3 liter Ford Ranger has afforded me the opportunity to learn more about fuel injection than I've ever cared to know . . .

Yet I couldn't get this silly, carbureted rotovator to work! My hands quickly blistered and my shoulders now ache from pulling on the thrice accursed starting rope. The vexatious machine soon taxed my patience and I found my mind wandering toward all manner of vile and evil thoughts, which seems the antithesis of what I'm trying to accomplish by growing things in the first place. In the midst of my anger, however, I did manage to wonder how much LESS energy I'd have exerted in simply using a shovel on the garden, rather than yanking on that uncooperative and hateful starting cord.

So early this morning I put even MORE carbon into the air driving back to the rent-it center, where I dutifully complained about the non-functioning rotovator. To my great relief, THEY couldn't get it to work properly either. I loaded up a different, heavier machine and drove home again. This particular unit worked well for me, though when the PTO is engaged it sometimes made a rather disconcerting metal on metal grind akin to what I've done when trying to operate a two speed rear end on an old truck. (I never DID get the hang of double clutching.)

My garden is now tilled, awaiting seeds. My sweetheart has used the spade on one of our raised beds, so there are two more of those to do before we plant them in earnest. I also inspected my trees this morning and discovered, to my dismay and distress, that the spray treatment I gave them two weeks ago has done NOTHING to stop the aphid and moth infestation. I don't know if it's because the treatment itself is simply ineffective, or whether the heavy rain that followed my spraying a day or so later simply washed the soap and baking soda mixture into the soil before it could work.

At any rate, I'll have to get back out there and do something with my trees before the municipality gets on my back and insists that I use some horrid organophosphate, like Diazinon, to "control" the infestation of my fruit trees.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
"The Long Journey"
New Adventure for Your Mind