From   Pannirselvam P.V,  Brazil

  Hi Bruno, all other TOM,KEITH list members

  Thank you very much to bring here the very simple process to make bio
fuel from coconut.

  After intensive search  I am able to see the free well made
videointerview of
Matthias Horn   German migrant and an engineer  interesting interviews. One
can see in this video how  the cocoon oil is  made  as well  how the  oil is
is stored 20 days , then used  after sedimentation , in the engine as 100
porcent , which one can get very easily via google search.All rural area
can  develope fast  as  the energy cane  made  using simple press , not even
mini oil  plant may not be needed. The simple  hand operated hydraulic press
outlined  in JTF used by us for small comunity in Brazil  to make oil  as
well the  more costlier stainless steel  two tube similar press in
Australia  all working well to make  oil from seeds in small scale
level.Thepure coconut oil has 5 times much value than  diesel fuel,
yet can very
cheap in many rural palce as  diesel is 8 times much costlier now in Brazil

Nearly 20 days are used   with water  to make the biofuel , so that the
unwanted impurities including water is decanted and  separated without
machines .

 Keith replied earlier that  simple process, catalyst can also work to make
biofuel   regarding  the  new catalyst preparation from spent biomass ash.
I  as chemical engineer , not much belief in natural ecological  process can
hardly believed this ,as not knowing well that the biological and ecological
are always low energy , simpler rather than the man made  methods , but
surely  , I do believe and agree with Keith that  this process  so simple ,
but does  not need any catalyst at all as wel as a need to heat up .
 I am sure  Matthias Horn  really do not have recourse's  and hence do not
invent the things like  what big companies do , yet  his  process need a lot
of  debate , as  understanding of the same can be the true ecological
process what we we all need as the process involve biotechnological natural
process, even there is no need to inoculate  the microbes .

 I expect Tom , Keith and  other  bring  more information .One may wonder
how 100 coconut  oil after fermentation  and separation  of impurities , is
found to be a great  success, not  mixed anything alcohol etc
Certainly some problems  may be there  due to fatty acid,glycerin , but
making job for mechanics are also good way , where everything is very
difficult.Here in Brazil , the cost of petrol diesel is  8 times more in
isolated islands.

 If we can use this biological methods  as pretreatment before we can use
the KOH liquid catalyst, we may simplify  the biofuel making process.

 Banana leaves  and stems  are reported to contains very high amount of K
and KOH can obtained from  this em plenty .

Some  small amount of water ,liquid soap , fatty acids are better components
biofuel  than oil, or petroleum , thus no need to separate if used minimum
amounts .

  This simple two stage biological and KOH process yet need to be
optimized  based on the raw material available in rural areas. Thus real
rural development is not an Utopia , can be  possible.But sharing this
knowledge all the place is yet another problem, but  our list has very good
 list members spread all   over the world.We can do better work too, even
before big blues  make huge profit by buying their oil  and ten making fuel
, selling them with huge profit  with  small farmer, who are all always  the
good market place for big blues  such as the Wallmart ,Carrefour and other

Surely the reported work is not the mad man work , but a novel new process
with perspective  for us change the way make biofuel.

Twenty years before nobody could have believed  in micro computers , even
Bill Gate  may not believed that  the open software  such as Mozilla firefox
can be success, but today they are reality making our social network can
happens. Thus , I  believe the small scale biorefinary can be  possible to
reduce the wastes , making wealth for all , naturally competing with mini
and macro refinery .Brazilian bio ethanol is the examples  where micro
distilleries do coexist with mini and macro

   Best wishes and regard

sd Pannirselvam